• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

British uniform Poona 1890's

Tinpot

master brummie
Any help with identifying the uniform in the photo. Circa 1890. It's a very faded photo which I have computer enhanced to see any detail. Thanks . Tinpot

Attachments

• IMG_0299.JPG
    IMG_0299.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0300.JPG
    IMG_0300.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 29
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
There are some Worcestershire Regiment photos here...

...there's only a couple that seem relevant. Captain Hogden (1890) on the right near the top and Private William Comber (1896) towards the bottom on the left, one of the soldiers has a similar marking on his sleeve.

There are some Worcestershire Regiment photos here...

...there's only a couple that seem relevant. Captain Hogden (1890) on the right near the top and Private William Comber (1896) towards the bottom on the left, one of the soldiers has a similar marking on his sleeve.
Thanks MWS. I have taken a look through the photos. I certainly don't know any of the names. Hopefully someone might recognise the uniform. The crossed guns suggests artillery. There is also a diagonal band across the spiked helmet. He is carrying what I think is known as a 'swagger stick'.Tinpot

On a few military uniform sites the crossed rifles can be worn by a marksman. Just for interest if it has an “s” above it, it refers to sniper.

Hi Tinpot, I'm not sure if these photos will be of any help. They are of a relative who was with the Royal Artillery in Poona at the same time. 11. William Edwin Rolbert Woolley.jpg
I also have paperwork in files which relate to his army career as I researched him before much information was on line.
12. W E R Woolley 'Indian Prince'.JPG

Thank you . Is your relative in Poona with the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment in 1908?Tinpot

No, sorry. I thought you were trying to identify the uniform and mine might have helped. However, I now understand that your photo isn't the Royal Artillery. William was with the 29th Battery RFA stationed in Kirkee.

Timpot, he may have been in the Royal Artillery at some stage. On the second reference I gave you on your other thread, the regiment is listed as Royal Artillery.

That's assuming all 3 references are relevant.

The uniform in Lady P's first photo seems similar to my untrained eye.

MWS, I thought it looked similar. I'm looking through my records but I think I just concentrated on William rather than the army generally. An earlier post mentions crossed guns/artillery too.

MWS, I thought it looked similar. I'm looking through my records but I think I just concentrated on William rather than the army generally. An earlier post mentions crossed guns/artillery too.
Yes lady P l totally agree the uniform looks the same. The 2nd Batt appears to have been abroad for a long time and only returned to England in 1913. Regimental record says it was a 17yr tour. Tinpot

I seem to remember that William spent some time in Ireland with the regiment and then when war broke out 1914 after he had finished his tour he was recalled to work in the stores in Surrey.

No, sorry. I thought you were trying to identify the uniform and mine might have helped. However, I now understand that your photo isn't the Royal Artillery. William was with the 29th Battery RFA stationed in Kirkee.
Me Lady, do we know the years he was there, and maybe the surname, there may be some info in the papers. Or at least about the Battrey.

You may rise now Sir Pedro, you knees must be hurting!

I researched William for my second cousin who lives in Salt Lake City. Unfortunately, I sent her his army records as I really didn't think I would need to refer to them again. From the few notes I have :-

William Edwin Rolbert (not Robert) Woolley was born in Lambeth in the Dec Qtr of 1875 and enlisted in the RFA at Woolwich Barracks. I'm not sure how old he would have been when he enlisted but would think that as he was a career soldier he would have been fairly young. He have gone out to India some time in the 1890's as he married in 1901 and his daughter was born there in 1902. On his marriage certificate he was stated to be a soldier corporal. He was with the 29th Battery RFA stationed at Kirkee.

He stayed close to the army all his life, was called back for the WW1 war effort and by 1923 he was the licensee of the United Services pub at 80 Plumstead Road, just down the road from the barracks. He died nearby in 1928 aged 53.

No mentions of William.

July 1890 the 29th at Newbridge.

September 1898 the 29th at Poona for funeral of Lieutenant Gen Duncan commander of Bombay Forces. Troops from the garrison at Kirkee attended and supplied the gun carriage bearing the coffin.

Report of a Captain CW Tyler died of plague in October 1899 at Kirkee.

29th Battery Rfa Kirkee 1900...

Cricket team 1899...

Timpot, he may have been in the Royal Artillery at some stage. On the second reference I gave you on your other thread, the regiment is listed as Royal Artillery.

That's assuming all 3 references are relevant.

The uniform in Lady P's first photo seems similar to my untrained eye.
I have read today a medical report for divisional manoeuvres in Poona February 2nd to Feb 7th 1909. Both RFA and 2nd Battalion Worcestershire were present.

The sleeve badge signifies weapons training

I thought the Poona reference was to do with his time with the 1st Battalion in the 1890s.

There's no reference to him being in the 2nd battalion that I've seen. Does something you have suggest this?

The 3 references on familysearch are 1st battalion (1891), Royal Artillery (1901) & 5th battalion (1903).

I thought the Poona reference was to do with his time with the 1st Battalion in the 1890s.

There's no reference to him being in the 2nd battalion that I've seen. Does something you have suggest this?

The 3 references on familysearch are 1st battalion (1891), Royal Artillery (1901) & 5th battalion (1903).
Hi MSW. No I don't have anything. Just recognising that the Worcs Reg were in Poona 1909.

Back