• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

British Soldiers In Canada

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not quite sure where to post this but hope someone can help.
This is me being naughty as it is not a Birmingham query as my paternal family are from north staffs.
Mathew Brough b Cheddleton/Leek staffs in 1805 (census records differ slightly) I am lucky that not many Matthew Broughs have been born Staffs, so I have been able to trace him from birth to death,except a small gap.
I have researched my gt/gt/grandfather for many years now, he was a Master Tailor all his life but my research of his life had a big gap in it.I have just found records that from the age of 17 in 1822 to age 29 in 1834 he was in Canada in the 82nd regiment of foot.
The attestation record is lovely he was 17 a Tailor, 5ft 8ins, fair complexion, Hazel eyes,Dark hair ,round face.Fits the description of my late Dad exactly.
My question is what was the 82nd regiment of foot and why were they in Canada.
Thanks , Alberta.

Last edited:
Within a year I find myself in complete agreement with Mike, Alberta. It seems that during the period 1822 - 1834 whilst visiting some exotic places, Canada certainly wasn't one of them. Canadian Archives seem to tell the same story, though the wording is very similar to that of the National Archives report.

Maurice

Thanks for your replies,I am at a loss to know where to look now.
I have a copy of the British records office documents that lists the
'British soldiers of the 82 Regiment of Foot in Canada between 1813 and 1831
record office numbers WO 25/491 and WO 25 492
My Gt/Gt/ grandfather is listed on both and he is listed on the
'UK Royal hospital Chelsea pension soldier service list' as being in the,2nd Btn, 82 Reg. of Foot
from 1822 to 1834,Regimental No. 237

When I was struggling for info about my Gt Grandfather I emailed the regiment (not the same one as you want) and asked for advice. I found them very helpful. If you go to the site in #2 it might be worth a try via the "contact us" facility.

Also, it appears that according to the above mentioned website the 2nd battalion was disbanded in 1815.

Yes - I noticed that but wondered if he was down as 2nd because that was what he joined. I think they transferred to the 1st but I suppose he might have stayed in Canada as militia. The problem is the Canadian records for which British soldiers stayed are not online.

Thanks for your replies MWS and Janice.
The problem there is that he joined in 1822 when he was 17 so it appears 6 years after the 2nd battalion was disbanded.
I have edited my first post with His name and birthdate in case anyone else has any info.
I have his birth and he was living in Moor street Birmingham in 1841 and have info from then but this Canadian bit is a surprise to me.

Alberta, I am sure you have seen this but, on Ancestry there are different lists of "Canada, British Regimental Service" (one listing Mathew and one Matthew Brough - dated 1827 to 1831) but the information is slightly different. The description and personal details are the same but the last few columns differ. The first has him enlisted by Sgt Seton 7th Foot and then blank columns. The second has him enlisted by Sgt Bell 82nd regiment and then the last but one column (headed Actual Service in East or West Indies) has a start date of 12th June 1824. I am not sure these records refer to actual service in Canada for all of the record. This is why I suggested you contact the regiment to see if they can explain what the records mean. Does the Chelsea record say anything different as can't see that?

Back