• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

British Restaurants

Thank you for posting this I had never heard of them called that name. I suspect Cov had them there were lots of good cheap places to eat up to the 80's maybe 90's. My trendy friends used to go to Priestlys Bridge Restaurant in Coventry. I can't find it on a map now. Fashionable to eat with the poor folk? Lots of poorer people frequented it and elderly. When I was scraping to buy my place, I used to go to a little tin roofed wooden café with about 4 tables up some dark damp steps. It was in the rear of somebody's garden. They did lovely pork batches, They used to plate up dinners on a plastic tray with cling film popular with the elderly. It was in bedsit land. And transport cafés. Grandad used to take me in those as he was a driver. He said good conversation and food which wouldn't leave a hole in your pocket. I thought you got a real hole in some places!
My friend's mum ran a sailors' mission, hostel and café, they were always busy he said.

The British Restaurant scheme was a WW2 measure, which according to a post by former member Bernard lasted until 1947. It certainly helped to assist women with the rationing still in force at the time. It would be the reason why I only went to one or two, a few times, when taken by my father after he came home from the Army in late 1946. I do remember liking their meals, especially the pie dinners with peas: I still like a good steak and kidney pie. ;)

The British Restaurant scheme was a WW2 measure, which according to a post by former member Bernard lasted until 1947. It certainly helped to assist women with the rationing still in force at the time. It would be the reason why I only went to one or two, a few times, when taken by my father after he came home from the Army in late 1946. I do remember liking their meals, especially the pie dinners with peas: I still like a good steak and kidney pie. ;)
Just met my friend who's mum ran the sailors' mission. He said it wasn't actually a mission! But the sailors who lived on boats all their lives had to come off sometimes. She put them up for £1 a night, he thought it was about 50 years ago. He said he didn't know how she ran it so well and so cheaply. She made several pies like steak and onion, and kidney on huge trays and cut them into squares.

Canal boatmen's missions are detailed in this thread - post 210 to be specific.

Canal boatmen's missions are detailed in this thread - post 210 to be specific.
Thank you. Canals fascinate me. And the people

Back