• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

British Restaurants

There was a British Restaurant on Kingstanding Circle, in Kettlehouse Road, when my mother was ill and had to go into hospital for a day treatment I was left to look after my baby brother, mom gave me some money to go to the BR for a dinner.
I took him in his pushchair, I couldn't have been more than nine years old at the time.

Radiorails - any idea where that restaurant was please?
Well, the Irish Club is in High Street, Deritend, apparently.
The Shoothill pic says Deritend, however the lower part of the club looks like the original with slight modifications and a quite warehouse style top storey added. :eek:

A couple of photos that will help locate the civic restaurant at the Stone Yard off Deritend High Street.

Digbeth Nr Stone Yard.jpg Digbeth High St St Johns Restaurant.JPG

In the 1940s on the Birchfield Road I was often taken in there as a young child and the food was good although in those days of rationing any food was good. I think it was called a 'British Restaurant' back then.
britrest.JPG

The canteen in Digbeth n the pic above looks very well set up but does anyone know please, generally whether the cooking was done in British Restaurants on the premises or brought in from somewhere?

The canteen in Digbeth n the pic above looks very well set up but does anyone know please, generally whether the cooking was done in British Restaurants on the premises or brought in from somewhere?
ps don't know who decided I was knowledgable - certainly wasnt me!

https://dro.dur.ac.uk/10299/1/10299.pdf
Some interesting facts here. The food the sheer numbers of the restaurants was amazing.
I bet the one in Deritend was very busy as there was so much industry around and not every where had a canteen I believe.
Hi All,
The British Restaurants were always busy. Apart from anything else they supplemented the normal ration. The poor housewife who had to stay at home to look after the family was the one who suffered.
Old Boy

The only British Restaurant I was taken in as a small child was the one in Birchfield Road and as far as I remember the food was cooked there.

I believe, given food rationing during WW2 and a little while after, plus in most cases the volume of meals served over a large proportion of the day would mean that all meals were cooked on the premises. I also believe my earlier post suggests that.

Last edited:
I was interested in reading about the british restruants my mom cathy vaughan workrd in tje one oppositet the mermaid for many years and i ofter went down to see her witj jer greind cathy henry

Back