• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

British Newspaper Archives Birmingham & WW1

The only one I found on 1901 and 1911 Welsh censuses was just given as David (I am fairly sure that is the right one as the address was Rhydyfelin near Aberystwyth). I can't find him on the service records though.

Janice

janice i have also found this one

1911 census

address gwar rheidol capol bangor nr aberystwyth

head...mary edwards married 49
daughter...ann jane edwards 19
son david john edwards 13...born 1898 in aberystwyth

Last edited:
Janice, I have been going around in circles since this all began, sorry I did not answer you before, I think I have put all the info that I can on these post as I cannot find any more. If you read what I said to Lyn, I think I have covered it all.
As it was mentioned before I think his records were distroyed in that bombing in W.W.II. So that is the end of the search for Gunner David Edwards 1914-18.

Dave

Janice, that is the correct one, he would not have been on any service records in 1911 or am I missing something. My sister thinks he was living at Glynteg Rhydyfelin in 1911 as he was a bit of a wild on on the farm so they shipped him to his aunts

Lyn, check on post 29 where I have listed all the children, there was a David but not a David John Edwards. There wasn't any Ann Jane either. I see also that Mary was the head of the household, is that correct as my G.G dad was still alive until 1926.

Dave

dave im confused again....i saw your list of children but i thought that they were your grandfather richards siblings not your dads...i just thought that maybe the david john edwards aged 13 that i found on the 1911 census could have been your dad especially as his mother was called mary he also had a sister ann jane but it seems not...yes mary was head of the house but as she is down as married it is most likely that her husband was maybe working away at the time the census was taken...dont think we can go any further now dave but dont give up...

all the best

lyn

Last edited:
No it wasn't that one - I should have given the info.

Richard and Mary parents, children David and Annie on 1911 census at Gwarfelin Hach (?), Rhydfelin Aberystwyth. In 1901 an older son Thomas is listed as well.
Janice
janice i have also found this one

1911 census

address gwar rheidol capol bangor nr aberystwyth

head...mary edwards married 49
daughter...ann jane edwards 19
son david john edwards 13...born 1898 in aberystwyth

Janice, you are correct, we can trace all the family way back but cannot find the army records, Lyn is probably right and we think the same that they were distroyed in the fire of the last war.
I have just uncovered an old post card from Egypt dated 1917 and printed it to try and identify a number which is on it but there only four figures on it and there should be at least five.

Dave

I too had the same problem with the records of both my Grandfathers but found those of a Great Uncle. It is quite hit and miss what survived. Do you think the numbers relate to his army number? If so then 4 out of 5 might help.

Janice

Janice, I am just trying to check with records and inserting 1>>>9 in front of the numbers I have, which are 1864. When in the modern army you always give your name and your last four of the complete number when asked by a N.C.O or officer. I will see what happens and let you know.

dave

Janice, don't spend any more of your time on this, I have gone through 34 pages of the Edwards on forces reunited and not a thing, put it to bed and thanks to all of you good ladies for your efforts. I honestly believe the records do not exist anymore,

Dave

Janice and Lyn, "EUREKA" I have found what we were searching for, stop don't do any thing until I have put this on the post. I had been thinking that maybe when he joined the B'Ham city police force in 1919 they may have had his army records, and I bought them many years ago and I have everything.
Right pin back your lug holes. first he was promoted from gunner to bombardier in the field of battle, his army No is Bomb David Edwards 730763 R.F.A that came from the R.F.A Woolwich. Ever get the feeling you are chasing shadows, I think so with this one.

Dave

I have just checked the No out and there are no matching numbers so they must have been lost in the fire.

Dave

His service record may not be there but the medal rolls are. It lists him as a/bdr and also gives his unit and corps as RFA T then 1864 gnr. He must have changed units at some stage.

Janice

Janice, that number 1864 is in pencil on the bach of the post card photo and "A" battery but I did not know what it stood for. The card is badly faded but it is telling someone where he is as it seems he was on his way home because he ended up in southern Italy.
What did you click on to find that info?

Dave

I use Ancestry and searched Medal Rolls with the number you gave.

Medal Rolls D Edwards.jpgMedalAwards D Edwards.jpg
there might also be some links to the war diaries but I haven't had time to check yet. I have now checked and they are not there at present - these diaries are an ongoing project.

Janice

Last edited:
standerton, he was in the forces until december 1919 then he went back to Rhydyfelin until he applied to join the B'Ham city police force. "What are the absent voters list and what would it tell me?

Dave

The absent voters lists show the names of men entitled to vote but who were absent in the forces and gives their name, number and address. I know Birmingham lists are online but have no idea which list he would be on from Rhydyfelin or where you would find it but I would think that a big library (perhaps Aberystwyth) would be able to tell you. I am not sure it would add to your info unless he had already moved away and then it might give an address you did not know.

Janice

Dave. I have only come in at the tail end of this thread, and now realise that he was below the voting age at the end of the war - thus he would not have been registered on the voting list. Sorry for this. MUST read the whole thread in future! However, I have In the past found this a useful resource - even though my Father was listed as RAF not RFA!!
Kind regards, Standerton.

I've been following this thread and am amazed how you can find all these details so quickly! My cousin researched our great uncles war service and have hit a blank with one brother. We've got two , Alfred Alder KRRB, died 1918, Henry Charles Alder KOSB died 1917 but we can't find John Norman Alder who served but was gassed and invalided out he died in 1921 back in Birmingham due to his damaged lungs. Anyone got any ideas as to find out his regiment etc?

When John Norman Alder was born in April 1899 in Birmingham, Warwickshire, his father, Alfred, was 35 and his mother, Louisa, was 30. He had four brothers and three sisters. He married Gertrude Susannah Clarke on September 25, 1920, in Bordesley, Warwickshire.

Name:

John Norman Alder

Military Year:

1914-1920

Rifleman

Medal Awarded:

British War Medal and Victory Medal

Regiment or Corps:

Royal Irish Rifles

Regimental Number:

15/52259

Previous Units:

2/7 R. War. R. 267832 Pte., 15/R. Ir. Rif. 15/52259

Clarkie

Medal roll and medal card are on Ancestry. Records don't seem to exist. I can't find him on the Silver badge list for soldiers discharged - maybe he was discharged late on.
Janice

Attachments

• J N Alder roll.jpg
    J N Alder roll.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 7
  • J N Alder.jpg
    J N Alder.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 7
He appears on the 1918 Absent Voters list at Paddington St. Aston as John Alder 52259, Pte B Coy, 7 Platoon, 15th R.I.R, R.B Rifles.
Also there in 1920 no detail but with I assume his mother.

Clarkie

He appears on the 1918 Absent Voters list at Paddington St. Aston as John Alder 52259, Pte B Coy, 7 Platoon, 15th R.I.R, R.B Rifles.
Also there in 1920 no detail but with I assume his mother.

Clarkie
Oh my goodness can't believe you found him just like that yes that's him and the lady he married was my Nan as years later she married his younger brother. I see he WA in the Royal Warks first then transferred to Irish Rifles would this be because of injury do you think? Thank you all so much yes I know he's buried in Witton Cem because they're family graves with his mum dad and an uncle and sister I think, thank you all again so much

Oh my goodness can't believe you found him just like that yes that's him and the lady he married was my Nan as years later she married his younger brother. I see he WA in the Royal Warks first then transferred to Irish Rifles would this be because of injury do you think? Thank you all so much yes I know he's buried in Witton Cem because they're family graves with his mum dad and an uncle and sister I think, thank you all again so much
Also from this information do you know if u could find out which battles he was in?

Change of units sometimes came about, I think, if regiments were so decimated they could no longer operate. To look for regiment battles search here https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/. Put the regment into the search box and see what it comes up with. Or there might be some info in the War Diaries - try Ancestry (if you can) - his name on the medal roll will give a search for the diaries.
Janice

Irish Rifles 15th Battn diary is on Ancestry from Oct 1915 to May 1919 but I can't copy it for you as it is 181 pages long. Diaries are also there for 2/7th Royal Warwicks.
Did you have Alfred's pension record?

Janice

Last edited:
Back