• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

British Leyland Factory - Perry Barr?

Nicholas

master brummie
On the beg again.......

.....but would anyone be able to tell me whereabouts the above factory was situated please? (What part of Perry Barr, etc).

Many thanks,

Nick

There was the Land Rover axle factory on the corner of Wellhead Lane and Birchfield Road - is this the one you're thinking of? It's students' flats today.

Big Gee

My Uncle was a Tool Maker there he worked well over retirement age:)

My dad installed an annealing-furnace there, in the 1950's, when he worked for Birlec-Efco. Easy work for him, as we lived in The Broadway, about 5 minutes walk away.

Where did Land Rover axle manufacture go after Perry Barr closed?

Big Gee

Hi

Yes many times there. It was our Axle factory. front and
Rears. Huge plant with many great workers their. Not far
from Kynoch Works (IMI) where I did my Apprenticeship.
Closed down in the 13 plant closure programme in the Mid 80's
by Tony Gilroy. Axles went to Solihull but most were manufactured by GKN.
Percy Road was another victim including Garrison St.

Mike Jenks

Many thanks for the replies folks!!

Apparently, during a bad drought in the mid-70's, the factory workers were told that they had to find ways of saving on water, etc. On some old plans of the area, a well was discovered and staff began uncovering the site. (Hence the name Wellhead, I presume?) This was said to be something left over from when there was a starch factory on the site in the early 1900's, run by Germans.....?

Regards,

Nick

Back