• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

British Korean Veterans (born in Birmingham)

Sue Bolvary

Aussie daughter of Brummie parents
I am starting this thread as I can't locate anything on the subject in any forum. My father fought during the Korean War. He was in the Royal Navy. He and my mother's family were born and lived in Birmingham for many generations back. They came to Australia in 1958. When he passed away many years ago, we found pictures of him and his mates on ships that he served on along with medals and documents showing which ships he served on. I wonder if anyone would be interested in seeing pictures of these and is there anyone that also served (or their families).

I am starting this thread as I can't locate anything on the subject in any forum. My father fought during the Korean War. He was in the Royal Navy. He and my mother's family were born and lived in Birmingham for many generations back. They came to Australia in 1958. When he passed away many years ago, we found pictures of him and his mates on ships that he served on along with medals and documents showing which ships he served on. I wonder if anyone would be interested in seeing pictures of these and is there anyone that also served (or their families).
Ex RN Myself, yes please pics

hi sue would love to see your photos please..if you scroll down the main page you will see a section for OTHER CONFLICTS...i have moved your thread to there

lyn

My Father John Davies also did some of his National Service in Korea in the army. I know nothing about his army life as he never talked about it. He was born in 1930 in Birmingham and I assume joined the Warwickshire regiment. I do know he trained as a dog handlers as I have photographs of that. I think he was stationed at Tring in Hertfordshire. He had a Korea medal but it was the UN
one I think. His parents ran the Turners Arms. Any information, insights would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Carolann

Hi Carolann, my father was also born in 1930 and served in the RN from 1947-1955. He too didn't talk about serving in Korea.
I have just managed to get hold of my father's army service records for his 1950-1952 national service. He was in the Warwickshire regiment RAOC and had UN medals from Korea. It really was the Hidden War, his records have him stationed at 'home'for the 2 years! Can anyone explain this? I also have photos of him dog training would this come under the RAOC?
I would be grateful for any help with this.
Carolann

Last edited:
I have just managed to get hold of my father's army service records for his 1950-1952 national service. He was in the Warwickshire regiment RAOC and had UN medals from Korea. It really was the Hidden War, his records have him stationed at 'home'for the 2 years! Can anyone explain this? I also have photos of him dog training would this come under the RAOC?
I would be grateful for any help with this.
Carolann
I too have dad's records on all the ships he served on during Korea and before. I don't know what being stationed "at home means" though. I have dad's medals too. I don't know how the army worked though. I did read though from Wikipedia "One battalion would serve overseas, while the other was stationed at home for training" so perhaps this is the correct meaning.

Hi Everybody
In 1986 I was working as a consultant sometimes staying in Busan (was orginally called Pusan probably during the Korean War). It is and was a major port in the south of Korea.

One weekend when I had some free time I went up the local hill at the back of Busan and came across the most beautifully kept British War Graves Cemetary which was immaculaty kept by the South Koreans. They totally admire and respect all the help the British Armed Forces did for them during the war.

The greatest surprise at the entrance to the cemetery was a full size Spitfire !!

Back