• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

British Industries Fair Castle Bromwich

Well I never imagined it to be so big ! What enormous exhibitions they must have been. But I suppose the site would need to be large to house some of the big industrial exhibits. A good aerial view of the frontage in relation to the exhibition halls too. Viv.

My dad worked there building exhibition stands. Occasionally he took me and my sister there and we played inside the building watching the stands being built. Sometimes we popped outside to watch aircraft taking off and landing on the airfield.
My Dad (2nd from left) wearing his flat cap at the British Industries Fair, Castle Bromwich. in 1948.
index.php

Early days at the British Industries Fair
I have commented on another thread about my mother saying that as a girl she had to run back home for her hat while the church bell was still ringing because she had to pass her grandmother's house and she knew that her dad would get told off if her grnadmother saw her on the street without a hat.

I think that the film which started this thread was in Belfast and surounding areas.

For a Birmingham photo, look at all these business men in the 1930s going into the British Industries Fair, a predecessor of the NEC
BIF_buses.jpg

Back