• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

British house styles across the ages

Having visited Europe many times. I think British planners and architecture absolutely appalling. I visited Lille there were two blocks of apartments built to the same design dated 1896 the land in between was being built on at the time in 2001. That was being built to the same design of the two existing buildings either side to blend into the period when they were built.

There is quite an interesting article that has been written on the website of Homes and Antiques, detailing the house styles across the ages.

Well worth a look here
My local U3a has recently started a group looking at architecture and started with looking at vernacular houses. I have found it really interesting looking at gable ends, cat slides, segmental pediments etc. We are doing site visits soon in our local town.

Be interesting to see some Birmingham ‘Stuart’, ‘Addison’ and ‘Airey’ examples. Not heard of the last two and hadn’t fully appreciated a Stuart style before. Interesting article. Thanks Mort. Viv.

Having visited Europe many times. I think British planners and architecture absolutely appalling. I visited Lille there were two blocks of apartments built to the same design dated 1896 the land in between was being built on at the time in 2001. That was being built to the same design of the two existing buildings either side to blend into the period when they were built.
I think one can find many examples of sympathetic design in the UK but that must be because the client required it or the architect offered it and was accepted.

In Yardley the building to the right of Digbeth-in-the-fields church has echoes of the church in its roof capping while being not disimilar to the houses to its right.

These houses, in Church Road, Yardley, are built on the site of the Ring o' Bells pub, only a few years old yet clearly styled after a 1930s semi, typical of the area.

I think one can find many examples of sympathetic design in the UK but that must be because the client required it or the architect offered it and was accepted.

In Yardley the building to the right of Digbeth-in-the-fields church has echoes of the church in its roof capping while being not disimilar to the houses to its right.

These houses, in Church Road, Yardley, are built on the site of the Ring o' Bells pub, only a few years old yet clearly styled after a 1930s semi, typical of the area.
Perhaps the penny has finally dropped. Went to a cul de sac In Headless Cross. Little site maybe six bungalows. Wonderful design, I asked the building contractor he said we build to a French design I saw in Normandy years ago. I always had the ambition to move there, I have never seen one come up for sale yet.

Be interesting to see some Birmingham ‘Stuart’, ‘Addison’ and ‘Airey’ examples. Not heard of the last two and hadn’t fully appreciated a Stuart style before. Interesting article. Thanks Mort. Viv.
I don’t know of a Stuart style house in Birmingham, but there may be some. The pre war council houses all over Birmingham were a basic Addison Design. There were some Airey Houses near Old Oscott Lane, but cannot remember the exact location now, a small grove had a few.

I don’t know of a Stuart style house in Birmingham, but there may be some. The pre war council houses all over Birmingham were a basic Addison Design. There were some Airey Houses near Old Oscott Lane, but cannot remember the exact location now, a small grove had a few.
Airey houses were pre-caste concrete construction rather than brick built after the war. There were a lot of problems with them. Some had brick outer shells added to them with insulation if the local council still managed them.

Airey houses were pre-caste concrete construction rather than brick built after the war. There were a lot of problems with them. Some had brick outer shells added to them with insulation if the local council still managed them.
Yes, I recall the council did tinker around with some of them and gave them a brick skin. The ones I worked on did have insulation inside the precast concrete skin, but how effective it was I am not sure

Last edited:
Yes, I recall the council did tinker around with some of them and gave them a brick skin. The ones I worked on did have insulation inside the precast concrete skin, but howe effective it was I am not sure
Saw a lot of these around the council house estates in the Pedmore area by the Queensway. They had to have a brick outer skin erected with insulation between the concrete. I was told this was because they were so cold inside.

According to this article, Airey houses developed problems which were fixed in some in the 1980s. This claims there were 88 Airey houses in the city. Viv.

CAC93F84-7257-490C-9C7E-C8695145CB6A.jpegCEDFF3E0-F8A6-4FED-8A73-E197B7C6F119.jpegSource: British Newspaper ArchiveD9A806CA-9AD0-4121-A625-A90DEA202B68.jpeg

Last edited:
Most of the houses that I was familiar with did not have an indoor loo...let alone a bath room. Tin tub in front of the fire place was the mode. The name or style of the house was of no interest what-so-ever.
I wonder how much that situation has changed. The tin tub was stored hanging on the dividing fence outside.

There is quite an interesting article that has been written on the website of Homes and Antiques, detailing the house styles across the ages.

Well worth a look here
It is certainly well worth a look. I have a brilliant book in the bookcase at home, must be nigh on fifty years old, "Your House, the outside view", published by Blue Circle, remember them? it illustrates the changing design of vernacular buildings by region in Britain from medieval times to what was modern when the book was written in 1975. Drawings in colour are 1:150.
My local U3a has recently started a group looking at architecture and started with looking at vernacular houses. I have found it really interesting looking at gable ends, cat slides, segmental pediments etc. We are doing site visits soon in our local town.
Would be a good book to have on hand for such a study

It is certainly well worth a look. I have a brilliant book in the bookcase at home, must be nigh on fifty years old, "Your House, the outside view", published by Blue Circle, remember them? it illustrates the changing design of vernacular buildings by region in Britain from medieval times to what was modern when the book was written in 1975. Drawings in colour are 1:150.

Would be a good book to have on hand for such a study
Thanks for that information Devon Jim. Plenty of copies available. Tinpot

A simplified construction to meet 1920s housing needs. These are described as bungalows (and not prefabricated). Wonder if these still exist? There's no indicationn of location, maybe someone recognises them. Viv

Screenshot_20230804_181632_Chrome.jpg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Are they the bungalows built for "Austin" workers in Hawkesley, Northfield. Visited there only once and that was some sixty years ago!

Back