• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

British Film Institute film of Birmingham

Re: British Film Institute film of 1930s Birmingham

just watched city of birmingham central areas redevelopment 1956...next on my list is jewellery industry 1962.. blue coat children marching to curzon hall 1901 and the reconstruction of hill st 1949 and there are plenty more to see...this should keep me out of trouble for a while viv lol

Below, link to fascinating (if rather technical) film of the building of the ring road in the 1960s.

Lots of views of the city from the 1960s, and it does show how this ring road almost totally wrecked the centre of the city

Note you have to wait for a "Watch Now" button to appear before you can watch the film.

https://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-ringway-the-birmingham-inner-ring-road-stage-1-1963/

Curzon Hall seems to have used the opportunity to advertise itself in both the Bluecoat School film and the Athletics film. Viv.

Two films about 'Handsworth' here
https://player.bfi.org.uk/search/?q=Handsworth+

Two films about Edgbaston here
https://player.bfi.org.uk/search/?q=Edgbaston

One film of Ladywood redevelopment here
https://player.bfi.org.uk/search/?q=Ladywood

Unveiling the Birmingham City Battalions memorial here
https://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-unveiling-of-the-birmingham-city-battalions-memorial-1933/

The Spaghetti Junction story here
https://player.bfi.org.uk/search/?q=Spaghetti+junction

Viv.

Last edited:

thanks viv....i have to go out soon but if you come by any for aston..hockley..lozells would appreciate the link...

lyn

Think it might be a good a idea to remove the reference to '1930s' in thread title if one of the Mods could oblige please? Many thanks. Viv.

Note for anyone overseas: BFI player does not currently work outside the UK and it is not possible to download the video either.

Last edited:

Think it might be a good a idea to remove the reference to '1930s' in thread title if one of the Mods could oblige please? Many thanks. Viv.

hi viv sorry for the delay...as a newbie mod i am just finding my way the mod tools etc...ive had a look and cant yet figure out how to edit the actual thead title for you...i have asked the more experienced mods to let me know how to do this and someone will sort your request out asap

lyn

That sounds right. You change the thread title, but the title of subsequent posts reflects the thread title that was in 'play' when each post was made. As far as I'm aware it doesn't ripple down through the posts. That doesn't matter, as only the title of the thread appears in the top level list of threads.
Probably best to delete or move to administer discussion posts #14 and #15, as they aren't relevant to the thread. ☺

Last edited:
Viv

I've just been looking at the Belgrade Terrace clip (it's actually misnamed on the clip and it's Belgrave Terrace). I was just wondering why they bothered to demolish one side which looks to be about 6 houses to erect a pair of new houses and then left the other side in what looks to be like a bomb site.

Attachments

• Belgrave Terrace.JPG
    Belgrave Terrace.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 12
  • belgrave terrace 2.JPG
    belgrave terrace 2.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 11
Hadn't noticed the incorrect terrace name Phil. Thanks for that. Does seem pointless considering they went to the trouble of upgrading the 'posh' side. Perhaps it would have cost too much to upgrade the other side, and/or maybe they needed too much work. Looking at your modern views, it's more like an alleyway and less like a terrace. Doesn't seem to have worked too well in the longer term. Viv.

Viv

The only thing I can think of is, that they were beyond economical repair.

hi viv only just had time to look at it...absolutely brilliant and with the added bonus of seeing the aston hippodrome before being demolished...

Hi Lyn. A little gem, no sorry a BIG gem, the place is enormous! . They mention there's only one other pub like it - albeit not quite of the Barton's Arms standard. They don't name the pub but wondered if it's the Red Lion in Handsworth. Viv.

Hi Lyn. A little gem, no sorry a BIG gem, the place is enormous! . They mention there's only one other pub like it - albeit not quite of the Barton's Arms standard. They don't name the pub but wondered if it's the Red Lion in Handsworth. Viv.

hi viv it sure is a big pub stacked to the rafters with wonderful architecture...shame the other pub is not mentioned by name...could be the red lion which i doubt will ever open as a pub again or given the fact that the report was from over 40 years ago and knowing what we now do about the lack of saving our heritage buildings over the years it may not even be standing...it was an absolute miracle that the bartons was saved..

Last edited:

Speedy23, thanks for posting this great piece of film history. Brought back a lot of happy memories of dear old Brum as i remember it.

Wow what an interesting film!

Some of it looks a bit staged - there seem to be a great number of 'posh' looking shoppers and diners in the China Garden and the market traders sound like they have either London or nicely spoken English accents.

Some of the shops I'd forgotten, Bata Shoes and the Pink Stamps store.

Like the mention of 'gay' exhibitions (not something you could say now) and the lady whose little girl went missing leaving her shopping bag while she went off to find security!

Thanks for posting the link :)

PLEASE NOTE: If you live outside of the UK, you will NOT be able to watch BFI films - unless using VPN, of course!

Maurice

Back