• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Britannia, Warwick Road now Closed

wessex

master brummie
An old 80s haunt of mine has now closed down.
All the windows have metal shutters,and a group of travelers have made themselves at home in the back car park.
Was a great pub once,but has sadly declined in recent years.

HI WESSEX
when did it closed down do you know ?
i came to brum a couple of nights ago to my amazement half the pubs have disapeared
my first seeing was the old queens victoria on stratford rd the sign above the door stated police
so is that a lock up for stratford rd now how long asthat been inoperation
there was another on the moseley rd with abanner raised high stating its gonna be a chemist
also the hotel above park rd moseley as close down
and when i joined the bottom end of moseley rd the old childrens home was still boarded up
and many years ago it was called mosely rd remand home which was used them
and they started to call them commutity homes but it as been banged up for about thirty years
they have kept the church but built some kind of mosque next to it
just what is birmingham council doing down there if there is that many home less people down there why not reopen it for that or the old police could use it surely
but the amount of pubs they are closing its crazy mind you i think that part is to do with the licencing department and the police i am totally shocked at the amount of pub closeures
as you know i was connected to the breweryies best wishes Astonian ;;

The Britannia taken a weeks ago, and a couple of photos of happier times. Further down the road. The once Boundary Club that became Zorbas reek Restaurant is now a bar again called the Colosseum (strange spelling).

Phil

AcocksGreenTheBritanniaWarwickRd2.jpg
TyseleyBritanniaInnWarwickRdnew.jpg

TyseleyBritanniaInnWarwickRd.jpg
AcocksGreenTheColosseumexZorbas2_opt.jpg

last winter I rehearsed with a band in the Brittania, only a few times as it was very a short lived excersise.

Never saw a customer in there, we more or less had the place to ourselves, just as well, there was hardly any beer !
Whatever you asked for, they only had one or two different beers left.

Seems a shame when pubs close down, but if they aint a viable business..........

My wife and I went to the far side of Solihull yesterday to see an old friend who is ill in The Marie Curie Hospice there. Due to unavoidable delays during the morning we were late so when we left the hospice we went into Acocks Green Village for some shpping. We used Saisbury's and I was amazed to see the rebuilt Red Lion is boarded up again. I pointed out to my wife where the bowling green used to be.

Seems to be signs of life there today!
Drove past,didn't stop so didn't see much,but building work inside it,and lots of cars at the back.
Anyone have more info please?

HI stich
as you know the old red lion and its history like myself as an ex gaffer there it was for the better as it went down hill after i had left

any way stich i will hang off here and wish you and the other half a merry and prosperous new year for 2012 ; astonian ;;;;

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello astonian, nice to hear from you and although I do not really know all the details as you do, I know what you are saying. I have had close links with Acocks Green for 72 years because I was born there and still have relatives and friends in Olton, solihull, Hall Green and Hay Mills.
Can I take this opportuniiy to wish you and your family a nice enjoyable Christmas and a great New Year.
stitcher

Hello again Astonian, I omtted to tell you that I went past The Gospel Oak over the weekend and it is now a C0-op food hall. I aked someone about it and the reply was "It's a shop now".

Back