• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Britannia Railway Carriage Works.

Dave89

master brummie
Hi,

I had never heard of this company until I found an old brass 'Ticket' , and after
brushing a large amount of corrosion from it, was just able to decipher the
above text, plus a short word I cannot read followed by 'Ticket'.

Its also stamped with B148 so presumably this was an individual's identification
number. Interestingly, whoever stamped the reference with single punches
got the 1 and the 8 upside down, - an easy mistake to make.

A bit of research tells me that they were at Adderley Park mainly in the Victorian era,
and very early 1900's, and ultimately became part of the Metropolitan Cammell Group,
who coincidentally I worked for in the 1970s and 80s.

I wonder if anyone has seen one of these before, or has any idea of what this Ticket
would have been used for?

Kind regards
Dave

Attachments

• P1080181.JPG
    P1080181.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
Hi,

I had never heard of this company until I found an old brass 'Ticket' , and after
brushing a large amount of corrosion from it, was just able to decipher the
above text, plus a short word I cannot read followed by 'Ticket'.

Its also stamped with B148 so presumably this was an individual's identification
number. Interestingly, whoever stamped the reference with single punches
got the 1 and the 8 upside down, - an easy mistake to make.

A bit of research tells me that they were at Adderley Park mainly in the Victorian era,
and very early 1900's, and ultimately became part of the Metropolitan Cammell Group,
who coincidentally I worked for in the 1970s and 80s.

I wonder if anyone has seen one of these before, or has any idea of what this Ticket
would have been used for?

Kind regards
Dave
Dave,
The name of this railway company was actually, Brown, Marshalls & Co. Ltd., Britannia Works, Arden Road, and the factory was taken over 1908/09 by the Wolseley Tool & Motor Car Co. Ltd.
PA739

it could a (Tool Chit System: A tool accountability system in which tool users are assigned tokens)
great its nice to know the carraige on the tallylyn are brummie made
:grinning:
Brown Marshalls & Co builders plate on Talyllyn Railway coach.

Attachments

• talltllyn made in brum.jpg
    talltllyn made in brum.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 1024px-Talyllyn_Carriage_3.JPG
    1024px-Talyllyn_Carriage_3.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 7
Hi PA739 and Pete,

Many thanks for your replies, - the association with Wolseley's is interesting, I wonder if this is
where their 2 wheeled car was built. I have seen some text in the past regarding that car saying
that the test route included Adderley Park.

The suggestion that this might be a tool chit makes a lot of sense - I hadn't thought of that.

So I shall continue the journey through a big pile of unchecked old metal detector finds and
see if any other educational goodies emerge.

Again, many thanks for your replies.

Kind regards
Dave

Yes Brown Marshall were initially an independent railway carriage builder. Then part of Met Cam then the site was taken over by Wolseley at a time they started to expand their site. Later it was Morris Commercial. It was an interesting and complex history.

The 1911 advert in post 5 shows Brown and Marshall as part of the Metropolitan Amalgamated Railway Carriage and Waggon Co Ltd. The “Amalgamed” was added in 1902 with the amalgamation of eight large manufactories.

Ashbury, Oldbury, Brown Marshalls, Patent Shaft, Lancaster, Docker Bros, Hadley Works and Britannia.

Back