• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Links: Britain from above site

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks i think this site has already been mentioned but it really is amazing...they have now added new ariel shots....one being an overhead of the lucas factory and surrounding streets which includes the best i have seen of harry lucas school and im sure i can see kids in the playground...you will need to sign up with them so that you can zoom into the photos..i have already tagged harry lucas school and friends hall...enjoy

https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw029685?search=newtown birmingham&ref=1

just tagged the fountain inn and burbury st park...this site is adictive lol

lyn

Plenty more to do Lyn, especially with your local knowledge. Yep, tagging's very addictive. You start off with "I'll just spend half an hour on this" to an hour, two hours, three, four ... blimey where's the day gone? Seriously though, a very useful task which will be a permanent record. Viv

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Plenty more to do Lyn, especially with your local knowledge. Yep, tagging's very addictive. You start off with "I'll just spend half an hour on this" to an hour, two hours, three, four ... blimey where's the day gone? Seriously though, a very useful task which will be a permanent record. Viv

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

viv i cant believe the clarity of the photos taken before demo and the site are adding more images all the time so it pays to go back from time to time... got cracking overhead shots of my house in villa st and both of my schools farm st and lozells girls...at this rate i will get nothing done lol..will tag some more tomorrow there are a few pubs to do yet..

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn, thanks for reminding us about this site, The photos are brilliant - keep up the good work with the tagging.

Not sure if this an appropriate thread. Just noticed this photograph on local(B'ham) BBC news web site.
Screenshot (97).jpg

Screenshot (98).png Ref post #8 above. A similarly angled shot taken in 1949. Hey I just loaded a png file I normally convert to jpg, only did so as I forgot!

The 'britain from above' site has had a major upgrade 'improvement' seemingly aimed at tablets and smartphones so you can 'use it on the go'. It does not seem so easy to use on a computer as it previously was but it all looks pretty.

It certainly takes a bit of time to get used to, but I think it will be better once I am used to it

Previously I found images by clicking a location which found all the images within a 1Km radius of the clicked location. It was easy to move through them. Now when a location on the map is clicked a number of markers appear on the map and they don't always give the view expected. The aerial views are all there but just harder to find ...'if it ain't broke don't fix it' comes to mind ...it still works and is very good but somewhat slower .. :)

Having used the new upgraded bfa since 2 June and now got used to the different layout I find it easier to use and it runs perfectly on my Windows10 computers and on my iPad. They appear to have done an excellent upgrade.

Phil, I am certainly doing something wrong, I can sign in, I can select a region and get a number of thumbnail choices, now if I click on one of these thumbnails I get a pale blue rectangle where I would expect an enlarged picture, I can toggle for a full screen option ie a full page blue screen, I can switch on pins and read their data, ie all the usual facilities but NO picture! I can save this none existent picture to my profile. I can download and then see the picture that I could not see. So near yet so far. Ideas please

I use the map search and when I click on a pin the small box containing the pic appears on my screen. I then click on the pic in the box and its full view appears. Using my mouse wheel I can enlarge or reduce it to whatever I want.
Using Chrome or Edge on W10.
bfacapture.JPG

Glad to hear I am not alone. I am using Windows10 with MS Edge. Don't get a picture at all.
I've just logged on to bfa with Edge and did the same thing and the large pic appeared after a 20 sec pause. I thought it was not going to appear but it did. I'm also logged on at same time with Chrome which might not be a good thing !

Yes I have the small photos. When I click on a photo a big blue screen appears with pins. The pins disappear and I'm left with a blue screen with a map at the bottom?

Phil, tried via the map search as you suggested but sadly same result. Now sent a comment to the website. There doesn't seem to be an obvious cause for the problem. Did I say I tried reloading via Google, using usual sign on etc

Back