• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bristol Street.

Can't say Monaco House will be a great loss, but wonder if the replacement will be any better. Viv.

As far as I know, Bristol Street Motors started out on Bristol Street. What on earth is the large white/cream vehicle in the window ? Looks like an ambulance. Viv.

image.jpeg

A few Bristol Street pubs. Images from the Shoothill site.

The Sun Inn, corner of Bristol Street and Sun Street
image.jpeg

The Victoria Inn
image.jpeg

The Red Cow
image.jpeg

The Nottingham Arms
image.jpeg

The Bell, corner of Bristol Street and Bell Barn Road
image.jpeg

Can't say I ever went in any of these, or if in fact they existed in my time. Only ever got as far as the Scala/Odeon and the Koh I Noor restaurant (the one with the tree inside) along Bristol Street (or just off it but can't remember the name of the road). Bristol Street was one of those roads that was a bit of a mystery to me. Viv

Last edited:
Some smashing building there Viv, I love the stuff on the Shoothill site. The 'Koh I Noor' restaurant is still there on Bristol Street, I remember it over thirty years ago.

Two more from Shoothill. These two views must be unrecognisable today. One shows the church building partially demolished.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

This one has been on the forum before; the taking up of tram tracks. Viv
image.jpeg

Bristol Street Motors in 2012

Monaco House in 2012

79-94 Bristol Street in 2015 refurbished.

Was it later the Bank of China (in the 1990s or 2000s?).

Sure there used to be a TSB somewhere down Bristol Street until it closed down.

There's a Bank of China now at the corner of Horse Fair and Thorp Street

A bit further down is this building. Now Chartered Accountants but looks like an old bank.

It would be interesting to see a photo of this bank when it was the municipal bank. Given the city herald and key motifs favoured by the bank I wonder of they were originally set into the circular embellishments which are now windows

Just noticed the old sign on the first floor. Think it reads "Security with interest". Nice to see it survives as a pointer to the building's history. Viv.

Back