• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brislin

sarah

hi, i am looking for any info on Brislin in aston. is there anyone else researchimg Brislin out there. would love to hear from you

I knew a family of that name who lived in Parliament Street, Aston, for many years until redevelopment in the late 1960's don't know the parents names but had a daughter name Elsie, may be about 70 years old now.

Not researching the family but 1901 info
living Birmingham
Thomas age 59 b. Ireland Bricklayers labourer
Bridget age 50 b. Ireland
Martin age 17 Brasspolisher
living Aston Manor
Kate age 21 Hawker b. Birmingham
Ellen age 9months

Kate was probably the Catherine on the 1881 census note how the parents have taken a couple of years off their ages.

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
Thomas BRISLIN Head M Male 42 Ireland Bricklayers Labourers
Bridget BRISLIN Wife M Female 33 Ireland Button Maker
Mary Ann BRISLIN Daur Female 8 Birm, Warwick, England Scholar
Elizabeth BRISLIN Daur Female 6 Birm, Warwick, England Scholar
Catherine BRISLIN Daur Female 2 Birm, Warwick, England
Mary BRISLIN Mother W Female 72 Ireland Past Work

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling Summer Lane Court 4 House 6
Census Place Birmingham, Warwick, England

Martin Brislin was my mom's dad's name.
My mom's maiden name was Elsie Brislin who Sylvia refers to above.
Lived at 49 Parliament St. from 1930 to 1969.

are you saying that Thomas and Bridget (from Ireland) are Martin's parent's - as they would be my great grand-parents then :)

Yes they are your great grandparents and Mary is yet another generation back your g/great grandmother.
Thomas Brislin married Bridget Collins December quarter 1872 Birmingham ref 6d 375.
Their marriage certificate will have fathers names but going with the tradition of calling the eldest son for the paternal grandfather I would think that Thomas father was a Martin Brislin.
there is a death registered 1870 for Martin Brislin age 58 in Birmingham.

Thanks Alberta O0
I'm a bit confused though, as it says in the post above, that Thomas and Bridget were from Ireland (which fits in with what my mom has said), but Thomas' (possible) father Martin appears to have been in B'ham too, if he died here in 1870.
Maybe they all came over to England together, before that. :) Just thought...that must have been around the time of the Irish potato famine (I will check that out).

So that means Kate was my mom's aunt. There is someone here, who pm'd me who is looking for a Kate Brislin.

I know my mom had an aunt Anna. Not sure which side of the family that was...must have been her mom's side.
Her mom's maiden name was Walker.

Also, my mom used to say that she had an aunt, or great-aunt, in Philadelphia.

I would try to get Thomas marriage certificate from Birmingham before it can be verified that Thomas father was Martin,but the couple came here before their marriage as you say maybe with their family in the famine 1846/1850.
In 1891 the family was in Staniforth Street back of 72.(Transcript piece RG12/2393 folio 79 page 13)
Thomas Brislin age 48 Bricklayer labourer b. Ireland
Bridget age 44 Button cutter b Ireland
Mary Ann age 17 b. Bham
Elizabeth age 15
Catherine age 12
Edward age 9
Martin age 1(misprint age 7)

nest door at 73 Staniforth street
Patrick Brislin age 60 Bricklayer b. Ireland
Eilza age 50 b Lancashire
Lizzie age 22 b. birmingham
Ann Roddy Neice age 38 single born Birmingham
Ellen Roddy age 10
This family is on the 1881 misspelt
Dwelling: 10 H 6 Cou John St
Census Place: Birmingham, Warwick, England
Source: FHL Film 1341717 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 3001 Folio 10 Page 13
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Patrick BRISTLIN M 50 M Ireland
Rel: Head
Occ: Bricklayers Lab
Eliza BRISTLIN M 40 F Manchester
Rel: Wife
Occ: Hawker
Catherine BRISTLIN U 17 F Birmingham
Rel: Dau
Occ: Press Worker
Elizer BRISTLIN U 13 F Birmingham
Occ: Scholar
Ellen BRISTLIN U 5 F Birmingham
Occ: Scholar
Eliza MOODY U 20 F Birmingham
Rel: Neice
Occ: Press Worker
Harry MILLER U 24 M Birmingham
Rel: Lodger
Occ: Pollisher (Artz)

That is brilliant Alberta !! :)
Thank you SO much.
I am actually just making a family tree with the information, and was on the phone to my mom about it.
Again, thanks :)

Back