• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bridge Street West

hi trevor...when i have time over the weekend i will go through this thread but i think i have reposted most of them...you need start at post 1 and work your way through the thread but i will double check for any i may have missed...

mike thanks for the showing where no 48 was...just a stones throw away from farm st school which i attended..my gt nan lived at no 32 villa st which was a few doors from the church so a very good chance she used that shop

lyn
Thanks Lyn, I look forward to going through from post 1 and looking at all your smashing photos again.
Regards, Trevor.

mike the photo on post 266 ...is there any chance of confirming that it was the star pub..phil said there was one on the corner of bsw and wells st..could i have a map please showing that..i notice from the photo it was a holt house...

thanks for any help

lyn

Have lightened the photo, as below with map c 1950. The pub in the photo is Bridge St west on a corner which looks like it is a very sharp corner, which would fit entirely with it being the Star. As far as I can see there are no other pubs in Bridge St west that fit with those conditions and that photo, so it must be the Star

map c 1951 showing star pub at corner of BSW and Well St.jpg Bobs Bus poss outside Aar bsw .well st lightened.jpg

A lovely picture of an early Midland Red char-a-banc. I believe it might be a 1922/23 vehicle which had 32 passenger seats in a longitudinal fashion. Some had doors both sides of the vehicle others just on the near side. It still has solid tyres so I hope the seats were well padded. :eek:
I know, throughout the country, folks looked forward to the various outings that were arranged and it is surprising how far these vehicles travelled on their trips. By modern standards they look as it they might just make then end of the road but they did do some very long journeys and often were used for a long tour around the more sought out places of Britain. Also noticeable is the driver and his crew mate in smart white coats.

Last edited:
hi lynn there are loads of photos on this thread of BSW have you seen them all

lyn

The photo on post 305 is of a bus outside the Star, which is only three doors away from no 302

ok lynn enjoy them...if you see some images that you cant view its down to the forum being hacked some years ago but most of them will have been reposted later on in the thread

lyn

Have lightened the photo, as below with map c 1950. The pub in the photo is Bridge St west on a corner which looks like it is a very sharp corner, which would fit entirely with it being the Star. As far as I can see there are no other pubs in Bridge St west that fit with those conditions and that photo, so it must be the Star

View attachment 115855View attachment 115856
Mike,

Would you have any idea what year this photo was taken?

Lynn R.

II might be able to date the charabanc photograph a little more definite. The chara looks very much like one of six that were built during May/June 1925. They had seats for 32 people but were passed on to other companies in April 1927. The sort lived with Midland Red was because newer development vehicles were coming available. Midland Red was doing a great deal of experimentation and development throughout most of its existence.

Hi all, jumping on this thread a little late, but just trying to find a bit more info on my mum's family. My mum was Valerie caswell, she had a brother, ken. There parents were Tom and Edith caswell. They lived in bridge st west through the war up until about 1950 when they were moved to a new estate. Tom was a builder then an air raid warden In the war. Would love to know if anyone knows of or remembers any of the family.

My grandparents lived in Bridge St West and some family members, until moved out in about 1960. They lived two doors down from a small grocers shop, with a brew house for the houses to share. To the right was Lucas's and I used to watch the buses line up on a Friday to take the workers home. In Wheelers street just down from the pub was a fish and chip shop.

jimcat and JCDR welcome to the forum...hope you enjoyed looking at all the photos of bsw on this thread...enjoy

lyn

Hello Im a new member. I lived at 2 Melbourne Terrace Bridge Street West from about 1952 until 1961 or so. There were I think ten houses in the terrace, all the toilets at far end and a brew house as well. Coming out of the terrace turning to the left in a few yards there was the Queens Head pub. A little further on there was the Lucas factory. Turning to the right there was a small grocer shop which sold everything, another terrace and a school - the name of which I forget. I used to attend play centre at the school on some evenings. I remember just a little celebrating the coronation all crowding into one house that had a television. I remember the Queen visiting the Lucas factory and a great mass of us gathering outside to wave flags. My worst memory is seeing the death of a little girl who ran out into the road from the terrace and was run over by a corporation bus which was coming down Bridge Street I think to collect workers from Lucas' - a terrible event. I went to school in Handsworth to St Francis school. We moved from Hockley to Burlington Street in Aston in about 1961 and I lived there until I left home in 1966. I have fond memories of some of those who lived in the terrace - the Wilkins family (the father had some kind of factory and the house was always full of assembly work) the Traynors (who moved baack to Scotland) and the Overys. Mixed in with memories of cold and some hardship I have such good memories of days in Bridge Street West.

Hello Im a new member. I lived at 2 Melbourne Terrace Bridge Street West from about 1952 until 1961 or so. There were I think ten houses in the terrace, all the toilets at far end and a brew house as well. Coming out of the terrace turning to the left in a few yards there was the Queens Head pub. A little further on there was the Lucas factory. Turning to the right there was a small grocer shop which sold everything, another terrace and a school - the name of which I forget. I used to attend play centre at the school on some evenings. I remember just a little celebrating the coronation all crowding into one house that had a television. I remember the Queen visiting the Lucas factory and a great mass of us gathering outside to wave flags. My worst memory is seeing the death of a little girl who ran out into the road from the terrace and was run over by a corporation bus which was coming down Bridge Street I think to collect workers from Lucas' - a terrible event. I went to school in Handsworth to St Francis school. We moved from Hockley to Burlington Street in Aston in about 1961 and I lived there until I left home in 1966. I have fond memories of some of those who lived in the terrace - the Wilkins family (the father had some kind of factory and the house was always full of assembly work) the Traynors (who moved baack to Scotland) and the Overys. Mixed in with memories of cold and some hardship I have such good memories of days in Bridge Street West.
Hi Michael,
I lived the other end of Bridge St West right next door to St Saviour's church. There was a narrow alleyway just before the church called 'Cottage Row.' Going down, there were outside toilets and then five small houses on either side with a 'brew house' at the end. I was born there at no 3 in 1946 and the family moved to a brand new council estate called 'Ley Hill Farm' in Northfield in 1954.
Although I would be only 7 or 8 at the time, I remember that tragic accident when the little toddler was killed. After that, our parents then drummed it into us that if we played in the 'horse road' as it was known back then, we would be kept in from playing for the rest of the week.
There was also the death of an 11 year old boy called Frankie Thacker who lived up our end. He went with another boy and his father on a fishing trip to some canal in the countryside. They must have got bored and so went off exploring. Sadly, when crossing back and forth across the various locks, Frankie fell in and drowned.
The school you're thinking of if it was towards the Lucas factory was Burbury St Junior Infants. I went there from Jan 1951 until we left in 1954. It later became a secondary school and was renamed the 'Harry Lucas School'.
Similar to you, I remember the 1953 coronation because my father actually managed to buy a TV so that friends and family could watch it. The screen was about 9" square ! Until the novelty wore off, we would buy a bag of rocks (sweets) and watch anything.......including a really boring progamme called 'The Brains Trust' !
I've got DVD's in black and white of Andy Pandy, The Flowerpot Men, and The Woodentops. When I try to show them to my young grand children, they're bewildered that anyone would want to watch such rubbish, and they keep asking what has gone wrong with the colour.
Regards.....Trevor.

Thanks Lyn, I look forward to going through from post 1 and looking at all your smashing photos again.
Regards, Trevor.

Do you happen to have any photos of the St Matthias Tavern? I have a corner shot. It was at 199 Great Russell St and West Bridge St and my second great grandfather Frederick Phillips kept it in the 1860s and 1870s. I would much appreciate any help.

Back