• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bridge Street West

Hi all, jumping on this thread a little late, but just trying to find a bit more info on my mum's family. My mum was Valerie caswell, she had a brother, ken. There parents were Tom and Edith caswell. They lived in bridge st west through the war up until about 1950 when they were moved to a new estate. Tom was a builder then an air raid warden In the war. Would love to know if anyone knows of or remembers any of the family.

My grandparents lived in Bridge St West and some family members, until moved out in about 1960. They lived two doors down from a small grocers shop, with a brew house for the houses to share. To the right was Lucas's and I used to watch the buses line up on a Friday to take the workers home. In Wheelers street just down from the pub was a fish and chip shop.

jimcat and JCDR welcome to the forum...hope you enjoyed looking at all the photos of bsw on this thread...enjoy

lyn

Hello Im a new member. I lived at 2 Melbourne Terrace Bridge Street West from about 1952 until 1961 or so. There were I think ten houses in the terrace, all the toilets at far end and a brew house as well. Coming out of the terrace turning to the left in a few yards there was the Queens Head pub. A little further on there was the Lucas factory. Turning to the right there was a small grocer shop which sold everything, another terrace and a school - the name of which I forget. I used to attend play centre at the school on some evenings. I remember just a little celebrating the coronation all crowding into one house that had a television. I remember the Queen visiting the Lucas factory and a great mass of us gathering outside to wave flags. My worst memory is seeing the death of a little girl who ran out into the road from the terrace and was run over by a corporation bus which was coming down Bridge Street I think to collect workers from Lucas' - a terrible event. I went to school in Handsworth to St Francis school. We moved from Hockley to Burlington Street in Aston in about 1961 and I lived there until I left home in 1966. I have fond memories of some of those who lived in the terrace - the Wilkins family (the father had some kind of factory and the house was always full of assembly work) the Traynors (who moved baack to Scotland) and the Overys. Mixed in with memories of cold and some hardship I have such good memories of days in Bridge Street West.

Hello Im a new member. I lived at 2 Melbourne Terrace Bridge Street West from about 1952 until 1961 or so. There were I think ten houses in the terrace, all the toilets at far end and a brew house as well. Coming out of the terrace turning to the left in a few yards there was the Queens Head pub. A little further on there was the Lucas factory. Turning to the right there was a small grocer shop which sold everything, another terrace and a school - the name of which I forget. I used to attend play centre at the school on some evenings. I remember just a little celebrating the coronation all crowding into one house that had a television. I remember the Queen visiting the Lucas factory and a great mass of us gathering outside to wave flags. My worst memory is seeing the death of a little girl who ran out into the road from the terrace and was run over by a corporation bus which was coming down Bridge Street I think to collect workers from Lucas' - a terrible event. I went to school in Handsworth to St Francis school. We moved from Hockley to Burlington Street in Aston in about 1961 and I lived there until I left home in 1966. I have fond memories of some of those who lived in the terrace - the Wilkins family (the father had some kind of factory and the house was always full of assembly work) the Traynors (who moved baack to Scotland) and the Overys. Mixed in with memories of cold and some hardship I have such good memories of days in Bridge Street West.
Hi Michael,
I lived the other end of Bridge St West right next door to St Saviour's church. There was a narrow alleyway just before the church called 'Cottage Row.' Going down, there were outside toilets and then five small houses on either side with a 'brew house' at the end. I was born there at no 3 in 1946 and the family moved to a brand new council estate called 'Ley Hill Farm' in Northfield in 1954.
Although I would be only 7 or 8 at the time, I remember that tragic accident when the little toddler was killed. After that, our parents then drummed it into us that if we played in the 'horse road' as it was known back then, we would be kept in from playing for the rest of the week.
There was also the death of an 11 year old boy called Frankie Thacker who lived up our end. He went with another boy and his father on a fishing trip to some canal in the countryside. They must have got bored and so went off exploring. Sadly, when crossing back and forth across the various locks, Frankie fell in and drowned.
The school you're thinking of if it was towards the Lucas factory was Burbury St Junior Infants. I went there from Jan 1951 until we left in 1954. It later became a secondary school and was renamed the 'Harry Lucas School'.
Similar to you, I remember the 1953 coronation because my father actually managed to buy a TV so that friends and family could watch it. The screen was about 9" square ! Until the novelty wore off, we would buy a bag of rocks (sweets) and watch anything.......including a really boring progamme called 'The Brains Trust' !
I've got DVD's in black and white of Andy Pandy, The Flowerpot Men, and The Woodentops. When I try to show them to my young grand children, they're bewildered that anyone would want to watch such rubbish, and they keep asking what has gone wrong with the colour.
Regards.....Trevor.

Thanks Lyn, I look forward to going through from post 1 and looking at all your smashing photos again.
Regards, Trevor.

Do you happen to have any photos of the St Matthias Tavern? I have a corner shot. It was at 199 Great Russell St and West Bridge St and my second great grandfather Frederick Phillips kept it in the 1860s and 1870s. I would much appreciate any help.

Hello,I am a new member to the Forum.I lived in 5/320 Bridge Street West in the early 1960s until 1963 when we moved to Cannock.if anyone has any pictures of that part of the street then I would be very grateful.I have a class picture of my class at Farm Street Junior school which I will pst when I get the hang of the IT.Thanks.Martin

hi martin and welcome...there are quite a few photos of bsw that i have posted on this thread...have you seen them yet? from memory i know there is one showing the back houses of number 291 to 296 so very close to your house..there is also a photo showinng the fronts of numbers 271 to 281

also what years were you at farm st i was there from 58 to 64...would love to see that class photo you have when time permits....thanks

lyn

Last edited:
Thanks Lyn for the reply.I will trawl through the thread for your pictures
I left farm st school in March 1963 so would have been there from 1957 .My last teacher there was Mr Williams.I will dig out the picture tomorrow and try and post it
martin

brill martin...it could have been 63 i left and i am sure i was in mr williams class so who knows i maybe in that class photo you have....sadly i have not got one single photo of my time at farm st or lozells girls school...if you have any trouble finding those photos of bsw i mentioned let me know and i will sort them out for you...

lyn

Last edited:
Farm Street School Class Picture.Date is early 1960s
Head Teacher at the time was I think Mr Smith
I recall a Mr Williams as a teacher who had a broad welsh accent.There was another welsh teacher whose name I cannot recall
I also cannot recall many of the names of those in the class
Back row last on the right is Patrick
Third row last on the right is Graham
Front row third from right is I think Christine or maybe Pauline
I am back row third from right
Anyone else with any info on names or memories of the school around that time?
Martin

Attachments

• IMG_0463.JPG
    IMG_0463.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 27
hi martin lovely photo...may i ask what your date of birth is please as it may help me determine if i was in your class/year...i think i am on that photo but not certain at the min..oh i have turned it around for you...click on the link below to take you to the farm st school thread which you may find of interest and with your permission i will post this class photo on there as it may jog a few memories..also it would be better if we chat on farm st school thread as we are now going a tad off topic....

lyn

farm st class early 60s.JPG

Last edited:

Hello Michael
As a new member to the forum I have just found your post
My address in Bridge St West was 5 back of 320 and I think it may have been in Melbourne Terrace.I recall turning left on Bridge St West and the Queens Head pub being on the left and then the massive Lucas Factory,the grocers shop on the right where as kids we collected empty bottles and returned them to the shop for the deposits
I also recall the visit of the Queen and lining the street having been given union jack flags to wave.And yes sadly the fatal accident to the little girl
As for Melbourne Terrace - with ones back facing Bridge St West we lived in the last house on the right hand side of the Terrace.Our neighbour on the right hand side were the Bevans.At the bottom of the terrace was a very old lady called Mrs Brooks who we shared an outside toilet with and wash room (is that what you mean by the brew house)
If we are talking about the same terrace then I wonder if you lived in the last house on the left hand side as I recall a family moving in to that house around the time you say you moved out as my parents became friends with them
The houses were tiny.Two bedrooms' small living room and small cooking area.Toilet and washing facilities outside and as I say shared

Hello Michael
As a new member to the forum I have just found your post
My address in Bridge St West was 5 back of 320 and I think it may have been in Melbourne Terrace.I recall turning left on Bridge St West and the Queens Head pub being on the left and then the massive Lucas Factory,the grocers shop on the right where as kids we collected empty bottles and returned them to the shop for the deposits
I also recall the visit of the Queen and lining the street having been given union jack flags to wave.And yes sadly the fatal accident to the little girl
As for Melbourne Terrace - with ones back facing Bridge St West we lived in the last house on the right hand side of the Terrace.Our neighbour on the right hand side were the Bevans.At the bottom of the terrace was a very old lady called Mrs Brooks who we shared an outside toilet with and wash room (is that what you mean by the brew house)
If we are talking about the same terrace then I wonder if you lived in the last house on the left hand side as I recall a family moving in to that house around the time you say you moved out as my parents became friends with them
The houses were tiny.Two bedrooms' small living room and small cooking area.Toilet and washing facilities outside and as I say shared

Having checked the date of the Queen's visit - 1955- I don't think I would have memory of that as I would only have been 3 yrs old.More likely is that my recollection is of the visit of the Queen Mother in 1957 and there is a picture on this forum with crowds waving small union jack flags which I do remember

Back