• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bridge Street West

hi trevor...when i have time over the weekend i will go through this thread but i think i have reposted most of them...you need start at post 1 and work your way through the thread but i will double check for any i may have missed...

mike thanks for the showing where no 48 was...just a stones throw away from farm st school which i attended..my gt nan lived at no 32 villa st which was a few doors from the church so a very good chance she used that shop

lyn
Thanks Lyn, I look forward to going through from post 1 and looking at all your smashing photos again.
Regards, Trevor.

mike the photo on post 266 ...is there any chance of confirming that it was the star pub..phil said there was one on the corner of bsw and wells st..could i have a map please showing that..i notice from the photo it was a holt house...

thanks for any help

lyn

Have lightened the photo, as below with map c 1950. The pub in the photo is Bridge St west on a corner which looks like it is a very sharp corner, which would fit entirely with it being the Star. As far as I can see there are no other pubs in Bridge St west that fit with those conditions and that photo, so it must be the Star

map c 1951 showing star pub at corner of BSW and Well St.jpg Bobs Bus poss outside Aar bsw .well st lightened.jpg

A lovely picture of an early Midland Red char-a-banc. I believe it might be a 1922/23 vehicle which had 32 passenger seats in a longitudinal fashion. Some had doors both sides of the vehicle others just on the near side. It still has solid tyres so I hope the seats were well padded. :eek:
I know, throughout the country, folks looked forward to the various outings that were arranged and it is surprising how far these vehicles travelled on their trips. By modern standards they look as it they might just make then end of the road but they did do some very long journeys and often were used for a long tour around the more sought out places of Britain. Also noticeable is the driver and his crew mate in smart white coats.

Last edited:
hi lynn there are loads of photos on this thread of BSW have you seen them all

lyn

The photo on post 305 is of a bus outside the Star, which is only three doors away from no 302

ok lynn enjoy them...if you see some images that you cant view its down to the forum being hacked some years ago but most of them will have been reposted later on in the thread

lyn

Have lightened the photo, as below with map c 1950. The pub in the photo is Bridge St west on a corner which looks like it is a very sharp corner, which would fit entirely with it being the Star. As far as I can see there are no other pubs in Bridge St west that fit with those conditions and that photo, so it must be the Star

View attachment 115855View attachment 115856
Mike,

Would you have any idea what year this photo was taken?

Lynn R.

II might be able to date the charabanc photograph a little more definite. The chara looks very much like one of six that were built during May/June 1925. They had seats for 32 people but were passed on to other companies in April 1927. The sort lived with Midland Red was because newer development vehicles were coming available. Midland Red was doing a great deal of experimentation and development throughout most of its existence.

Back