• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bridge Street West

Thanks for that, Rob. I did look on the website awhile back but the flickr sets are new to me. I will be looking. When I was a boy we used to go to the playing fields in kingstanding for the Boxing day old boys footie match, and to the memorial services. Great times.

Many thanks,

Rob.

Rob- just had a quick look at flickr- totally amazing. Thanks again.

Boxing Day football matches still happen at Perry Barr park, but unfortunately playing fields had to be sold after vandalism.
Lots more info on the 1st A BB here https://1abirmingham.boys-brigade.org.uk/Contents.html
Rob

Lyn, hi again. Yes we are(related)- we had an exchange of posts on the Manor House thread and decided not to work out what it was. If I remember you advised me not to delve into the Harringtons as it would drive me potty. I do have some of the cuttings I think- police action over mistreating horses and the sale of the Manor House and stuff of that nature, but you may have more.which would, of course, interest me. The Chapman's also had a route along the Coventry Road- one of the sons. I thought it a little ironic that the bus connection would evolve into driving for the Midland Red.

Any thing you have would be gratefully recieved.
Regards'
Rob.

ahh now its coming back to me rob...of course we have exchanged posts but it was a long time ago and i have done so much research since then that i do have these senior moments lol....i dont have time today but over the weekend i will sort out my harrington/chapman notes and see if i have anything that you may not have....ps i still advise not delving into the harrington ha ha

be in touch as soon as i can rob

all the best

lyn

Trying to Repost of #166 with pictures attached:
With reference to the picture on post #2 dated 20/11/1956 showing the collapsed wall in BSW. I was born, in 1944, at 3 back of 128 Bridge Street West, which is the second house up the path behind the 2 people in the photo. These were small 2 storey houses. The tall houses with the missing walls were 4 storey tunnel back houses accessed from yards in Wheeler Street with attics and basements. The missing wall backed onto rough ground between the brew house and the two shared outside toilets - an ideal for practising playing football.
Now I'm not saying the missing wall is anything to do with me but I spent most evenings in the early 1950's kicking a football against it!!

Bridge_Street_West_back_of_128_Newtown_-_20-11-1956.jpg

The photograph shows work being carried out by J and T Walsh builders. The area in front of the removed wall is where bonfires were lit on 5th November. The majority of burnable material for the bonfire was collected by Micky Walker, Trevor Nicholls, and Vaughn Isaacs. I even remember a few bits of garden fence going on the fire when it was going out. Anyone reading this do they remember when the tram tracks were removed in Wheeler Street between Bridge Street and New John Street and all the kids collected the wooden blocks that were set in tar that were set between the rails ? These blocks were burnt for weeks on the fire to save using coke or coal.

The photograph shows work being carried out by J and T Walsh builders. The area in front of the removed wall is where bonfires were lit on 5th November. The majority of burnable material for the bonfire was collected by Micky Walker, Trevor Nicholls, and Vaughn Isaacs. I even remember a few bits of garden fence going on the fire when it was going out. Anyone reading this do they remember when the tram tracks were removed in Wheeler Street between Bridge Street and New John Street and all the kids collected the wooden blocks that were set in tar that were set between the rails ? These blocks were burnt for weeks on the fire to save using coke or coal.
Yes, I remember those great bonfires and I was guilty of aquiring the blocks from the Wheeler Street tram tracks and can confirm they burned really well.

This lady at 48 Bridge Street West keeps an orderly shop. Everything is tidy and well presented in the shop window. There's plenty of signage to show she stocks many popular items. And the step shows it's been a popular shop for many years (or at least the building has). And she keeps a respectable home judging by the nets and blind in the upstairs window. Viv.

image.jpeg

wonderful photo viv..new one to me..that lady is certainly proud of her little shop

lyn

Presumably Mr. E. Baker who made sure that all exterior wall space had adverts to her and the manufacturers benefit.
There are quite a few signs relating to products still available today - even if they are now under the control of multinationals. However there are some products names which have disappeared into oblivion.
Mr. Baker also, it appears, had many irons in the fire. :D

Edward Baker ran the removal business, and his wife Mary Baker ran the shop. However only Edward is listed in Kellys in 1912. In 1913 & 1915 both are listed, but by 1921 edition there is no listing for that address. the electoral roll lists only a cyril Edwards in 1920, so I the photo must be between 1912 & 1919. Possibly Edward dies in the war

thanks mike...was no 48 near to the summer lane end or was it the other end...

lyn

hope these are ok. wales.
hi folks. i thought i would put a few pics of bridge st west on for anyone who may have lived there. it ran at the back of my old school farm st. wales
Hi Astoness, hope you are keeping well. I remember looking at all your photos from when you first started putting them on the site. Having been born and bred in Bridge Street West (b 1946), I also left a post on the site describing my memories. However, I've just come back to have another look at your wonderful photographs, but can't seem to access them. What am I doing wrong I wonder ? Kind regards, Trevor.

Afraid all the images were lost some years ago after the site was hacked. Many have been replaced, and we are trying to replace others.

Afraid all the images were lost some years ago after the site was hacked. Many have been replaced, and we are trying to replace others.
Why do these idiots have to hack sites just for the fun of it ? That's such a shame to lose so many interesting photographs. I suppose 'Astoness' and many others still have their originals, but think of the amount of work and time it takes to put them back on to the site again. And there's no saying that the original vandal will hack in and do the same again. So sad really.

hi trevor...when i have time over the weekend i will go through this thread but i think i have reposted most of them...you need start at post 1 and work your way through the thread but i will double check for any i may have missed...

mike thanks for the showing where no 48 was...just a stones throw away from farm st school which i attended..my gt nan lived at no 32 villa st which was a few doors from the church so a very good chance she used that shop

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn I've just now been adding images to the first few posts. Don't know if they're the original images. But it's a start!! Viv.

This seems to be the only remaining section of the old Bridge Street West left. It's near the junction with Hospital Street. Everything else seems to have been re-built. Viv.

image.jpeg

Back