• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bridge Street West

Is Roger aware he gets an email update for any thread he has contributed to? He submitted #254 in this thread and so will have had an email about new posts. This may be why he has had the update about Bridge Street Police Station.

Janice

Roger, as Janice says, you will receive an email from the site every time this thread is updated as you have set your profile to have an email sent to you when updates occur. To change this you need to go into your profile and change your settings. Whilst there it would be useful if you could change the settings to allow instant messages to be sent to you at least by the Admin team.

as you will all know by now I am new to this site. I did not realise that as I had posted a thread on the Bridge Street West link I would receive updates when other members posted links on this thread. I must apologise to Viv for the confusion I created. rog

Hi Roger. I didn't make the connection between the email process - should have as I've been on this forum long enough! Absolutely no need to apologise. Hope you find lots of interesting threads on the Forum. Viv.

Bobs Bus-.As.jpg

Hi all, this photo has been in the family vaults for many a year. I knew it existed but couldn't find it but it reappeared last week.
Having been through the thread I have been unable to tie it in with any of the other shots. My question is which pub, and can I find a map that shows its relationship to Wellesly Street?
I believe it was my Great Grandfather, Thomas Chapman, in the driving seat. I know he drove for the Midland Red and there is a family anecdote that he drove the first Middie Red to Stourbridge. He lived in Wellesly Street and my thinking id that he was co-opted to run a day out for the pub clientele.
Astoness will, perhaps, be interested in this as it ties in with a link to another post regarding The Manor House Nechells, the Chapmans and the Harringtons.

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=39864&highlight=manor+house,+nechells

Regards, Rob.

Hi Rob

Could it be The Star Inn on the corner of Well Street & Bridge Street West? I think it was the only one on an acute angled corner such as displayed in the photo.

Last edited:
Hi Rob

Could it be The Star Inn on the corner of Well Street & Bridge Street West? I think it was the only one on an acute angled corner such as displayed in the photo.

Thanks Phil. I thought the angle might be a good clue, but I haven't found a map that covers this. I know there are some in the thread but much went missing in the 'hack'. I will have another trawl.

Regards,
Rob

Here is a map of Brideg st west. Wellesley st is marked in red. There was once a Victoria Inn on the sharp corner of Guest st, but it seems to have gone by 1921

map_c_1905_Bridge_St_west.jpg

Here is a map of Brideg st west. Wellesley st is marked in red. There was once a Victoria Inn on the sharp corner of Guest st, but it seems to have gone by 1921

map_c_1905_Bridge_St_west.jpg
Thanks for that mikejee. Looking at this map there was still housing on the Lucas site. I was confused as from the aerial shot as the road to left of the pub was an industrial site (Lucas) whereas in my photograph it was housing. The configuration of the windows etc on the aerial shot of the pub looks right but the angle seems sharper on the photo. I don't suppose there was a pub on the corner of Farm Street that you know of? Anyways, this is fleshing out my knowledge of the area and helping me get some order to my understanding of my family's connections. My mother and her family lived in Great King Street until 1938. Worked at Cannings 40s. My Uncle had a life time connection to the BB at the chapel in Gt.King Street and, as I said before, my Great Grandfather, lived in Wellesly Street.
As a further interest, my Grandfather, Harry Chapman, was an oxy-aceteline welder, and was known around the area (and others, I think), as 'the gun doctor'. There is reason to believe he had an association with the Kirby family, who, apparently, were not nice. This would have-been in the 30's I guess. It's a line of inquiry I am interested in following up. if you have any pointers.
Thanks again,
Rob

View attachment 101766

Hi all, this photo has been in the family vaults for many a year. I knew it existed but couldn't find it but it reappeared last week.
Having been through the thread I have been unable to tie it in with any of the other shots. My question is which pub, and can I find a map that shows its relationship to Wellesly Street?
I believe it was my Great Grandfather, Thomas Chapman, in the driving seat. I know he drove for the Midland Red and there is a family anecdote that he drove the first Middie Red to Stourbridge. He lived in Wellesly Street and my thinking id that he was co-opted to run a day out for the pub clientele.
Astoness will, perhaps, be interested in this as it ties in with a link to another post regarding The Manor House Nechells, the Chapmans and the Harringtons.

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=39864&highlight=manor+house,+nechells

Regards, Rob.

hi rob thats a great photo... so we could be distantly related then....yes one of my harringtons married into the chapman family...i know in the early days the chapmans ran a stagecoach from nechells to aston and they lived at the manor house nechells...i have a few old newspaper snippets about their transport business..i would have to get my notes out to give you anymore info as ive not looked at them for ages now..

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn, hi again. Yes we are(related)- we had an exchange of posts on the Manor House thread and decided not to work out what it was. If I remember you advised me not to delve into the Harringtons as it would drive me potty. I do have some of the cuttings I think- police action over mistreating horses and the sale of the Manor House and stuff of that nature, but you may have more.which would, of course, interest me. The Chapman's also had a route along the Coventry Road- one of the sons. I thought it a little ironic that the bus connection would evolve into driving for the Midland Red.

Any thing you have would be gratefully recieved.
Regards'
Rob.

rob
if you go on to the wellesley street thread you will see photos of wellesley street that lyn kindley put on as my husband family in the street from 1916 untill they was brought down
josie

Thanks for that mikejee. Looking at this map there was still housing on the Lucas site. I was confused as from the aerial shot as the road to left of the pub was an industrial site (Lucas) whereas in my photograph it was housing. The configuration of the windows etc on the aerial shot of the pub looks right but the angle seems sharper on the photo. I don't suppose there was a pub on the corner of Farm Street that you know of? Anyways, this is fleshing out my knowledge of the area and helping me get some order to my understanding of my family's connections. My mother and her family lived in Great King Street until 1938. Worked at Cannings 40s. My Uncle had a life time connection to the BB at the chapel in Gt.King Street and, as I said before, my Great Grandfather, lived in Wellesly Street.
As a further interest, my Grandfather, Harry Chapman, was an oxy-aceteline welder, and was known around the area (and others, I think), as 'the gun doctor'. There is reason to believe he had an association with the Kirby family, who, apparently, were not nice. This would have-been in the 30's I guess. It's a line of inquiry I am interested in gollowing up. if you have any pointers.
Thanks again,
Rob

Rob, you may be interested in seeing some of over 5,000 pictures and memorabilia about the 1st A Birmingham Boys' Brigade posted on flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/1staboysbrigade/sets
You may be able to find pictures of your uncle and reference to him on the roll books and membership forms and see pictures of Great King Street in the 1930s. The 1st A BB are still going and the old boys are holding their annual remembrance parade and service on Sunday 8th November from 2.30pm at People's Chapel now located in Great King Street on the corner of Barr Street further up Great King St from its original location. Rob.

Rob, you may be interested in seeing some of over 5,000 pictures and memorabilia about the 1st A Birmingham Boys' Brigade posted on flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/1staboysbrigade/sets
You may be able to find pictures of your uncle and reference to him on the roll books and membership forms and see pictures of Great King Street in the 1930s. The 1st A BB are still going and the old boys are holding their annual remembrance parade and service on Sunday 8th November from 2.30pm at People's Chapel now located in Great King Street on the corner of Barr Street further up Great King St from its original location. Rob.

Thanks for that, Rob. I did look on the website awhile back but the flickr sets are new to me. I will be looking. When I was a boy we used to go to the playing fields in kingstanding for the Boxing day old boys footie match, and to the memorial services. Great times.

Many thanks,

Rob.

Rob- just had a quick look at flickr- totally amazing. Thanks again.

rob
if you go on to the wellesley street thread you will see photos of wellesley street that lyn kindley put on as my husband family in the street from 1916 untill they was brought down
josie

Josie, many thanks. My GGF lived in 36 Wellesley St. until his death in 1937, so will be of extra special interest.
Regards,
Rob

Back