• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bridge Street West

How come I cant see the photographs of bridge street west ?? my mother lived on this road, she said you could see the school from her house x

How come I cant see the photographs of bridge street west ?? my mother lived on this road, she said you could see the school from her house x

anita there is a notice at the top of the main page saying that some images cant be viewed because the forum was hacked about 3 years back and we lost all of our photos but if you continue looking through this thread some of us have tried to replace them...my re posts of bsw start on post 168...could your mom see farm st school from her house because i went there..

lyn

She could ? im going to chat to her more about it on Saturday, The family name was shuttleworth, there were quite a few of them ranging from 1937 - 1949 x she went to farm st and harry lucas. I have been trying to find info on her father who used to play in the local pubs on his spoons, and piano x

there should be a farm st school thread on the forum with photos unless we have lost them in which case i can always repost...

lyn

Note - Many of the missing photos (at least 15) from the Farm St thread and this thread are in the Coppermine Image Host. They had been previously saved by a forum member who later uploaded them into the Image Host after the crash.

Here are a few links to images with Bridge St in their file names in the forum image host
Bridge2520Street2520-2520Guest2520Street2520Newtown252029-7-1964.jpg

Bridge2520Street2520West2520back2520of25201282520Newtown2520-252020-11-1956.jpg

Bridge2520Street2520West2520from2520Great2520King2520Street2520-25205-9-1968.jpg

Bridge2520Street2520West2520Newtown2520-25202-2-1968.jpg

Bridge2520Street2520West2520No2520291-2962520Newtown.jpg

Bridge2520Street2520West2520No2520296-300.jpg

Bridge2520Street2520West2520No2520352-3582520Newtown2520-25202-5-1956.jpg

Last edited:
any photos posted prior to september 2011 were lost when the forum was hacked if you go to post 168 i have reposted them..there is a notice at the top of the page..hope this helps

lyn

Last edited:
I am new to this forum but I would like to point out that this photograph was taken from the pavement outside the "Star" public house where Bridge Street West meets Well Street. The "Little Star" as I remember it being called was once run by the father of Jeff Turton who found fame with The Rocking Berries. The Star was also run by a man called Harry Harper who used to be a boxer. Another photograph that is on the Bridge Street West link shows a little shop, this was run by Mr and Mrs Evans.

The photograph of the Horse and Jockey public house with the view looking down Wheeler Street shows a group of ladies standing outside a grocers shop. Around 1955 this shop was run by a lady I think was known as Miss Green I can remember going to this shop to get mom's vinegar bottle filled up, vinegar was sold from a barrel so you took your own bottle to get it filled. The premises that can be seen next to the entry was a Fish and Chip shop.

This building is on Bridge Street West near Newtown Police Station (near Summer Lane). It has Dutch gables on the roof. But looking at the body of the building it seems incredibly plain and functional. Wondering what it once was Pub or maybe part of a factory entrance? There's no entrance on the roadside of the building so it must have been approached from elsewhere. The buildings either side of it are later additions. Can't seem to make it out. Viv.

image.jpgimage.jpg

hi viv i think it was the old police house or at least part of the police station..next time i am down that way i will find out...

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Viv, When i were a lad back in the 1950s it was living quarters for a member of the force, and the gate on the left retained a couple of police dogs.

Attachments

• Bridge Street West Police station corner of Summer Lane.jpg
    Bridge Street West Police station corner of Summer Lane.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 34
Hi Moss. Thanks. So it's been police property for a very long time. The station building looks about 1920s/30s and the accommodation building looks very different in style. So maybe it was originally built for another purpose and the police service took it over. Viv.

Vivienne 14 as I pointed out earlier I did not post a thread about Bridge Street police station although I remember it as a child. I am not moss. Their seems to be a crossed e-mail address. roger plumb.

Is Roger aware he gets an email update for any thread he has contributed to? He submitted #254 in this thread and so will have had an email about new posts. This may be why he has had the update about Bridge Street Police Station.

Janice

Roger, as Janice says, you will receive an email from the site every time this thread is updated as you have set your profile to have an email sent to you when updates occur. To change this you need to go into your profile and change your settings. Whilst there it would be useful if you could change the settings to allow instant messages to be sent to you at least by the Admin team.

as you will all know by now I am new to this site. I did not realise that as I had posted a thread on the Bridge Street West link I would receive updates when other members posted links on this thread. I must apologise to Viv for the confusion I created. rog

Hi Roger. I didn't make the connection between the email process - should have as I've been on this forum long enough! Absolutely no need to apologise. Hope you find lots of interesting threads on the Forum. Viv.

Bobs Bus-.As.jpg

Hi all, this photo has been in the family vaults for many a year. I knew it existed but couldn't find it but it reappeared last week.
Having been through the thread I have been unable to tie it in with any of the other shots. My question is which pub, and can I find a map that shows its relationship to Wellesly Street?
I believe it was my Great Grandfather, Thomas Chapman, in the driving seat. I know he drove for the Midland Red and there is a family anecdote that he drove the first Middie Red to Stourbridge. He lived in Wellesly Street and my thinking id that he was co-opted to run a day out for the pub clientele.
Astoness will, perhaps, be interested in this as it ties in with a link to another post regarding The Manor House Nechells, the Chapmans and the Harringtons.

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=39864&highlight=manor+house,+nechells

Regards, Rob.

Hi Rob

Could it be The Star Inn on the corner of Well Street & Bridge Street West? I think it was the only one on an acute angled corner such as displayed in the photo.

Last edited:
Hi Rob

Could it be The Star Inn on the corner of Well Street & Bridge Street West? I think it was the only one on an acute angled corner such as displayed in the photo.

Thanks Phil. I thought the angle might be a good clue, but I haven't found a map that covers this. I know there are some in the thread but much went missing in the 'hack'. I will have another trawl.

Regards,
Rob

Back