• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bridge Street West

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks. i thought i would put a few pics of bridge st west on for anyone who may have lived there. it ran at the back of my old school farm st. wales

image.jpeg
Replacement image - may vary from original. This image is dated Sept 1964

Last edited by a moderator:
Two more

image.jpeg
Replacement image - image may vary from original. This image is dated 1968

image.jpeg
Replacement image - image may vary from original. Image undated.

think ive got 2 or 3 more
image.jpeg
Replacement image, may vary from original. Dated 1960. Bridge Street West to the left, Wheeler Street to the right.

image.jpeg
Replacement image, may vary from original.
This is #1 & 2 in #33 court. Image from the Shoothill site. Undated.

image.jpeg
Replacement image, may vary from original. This is #3 in #26 court. Image from the Shoothill site. Undated.

ive got more than i thought folks. Two more from the Shoothill site showing WW2 bomb damage. Replacement images - may vary from originals.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

thats it for now. the school you can see is farm st infants and juniors. hope you like them. wales

Fascinating pictures, Wales, the one showing the backless house particularly. Was that after an air raid, or was it because of an over-zealous builder, or just neglect?
If you go round the smaller towns in what was East Germany, you find many sites, now vacant, in rows of older buildings. It was often because the local authority wanted to move people to new estates outside thye old town (just like Brum), but once they did so, they left the building to rot.
Another common reason was that because although the state had power to take them over, they could hardly do so if the legal owners could not be traced, and after the war that was often the case - either killed, or emigrated. So the old buildings just stood and rotted. Nobody did a thing until they collapsed, when they cleared it up.
Peter

how interesting peter. i will go back and have a look as the dates and numbers of the houses did not show up in the pics. i think they were all taken in the 60s which would be the slum clearance. wales

It looks a deliberate demolish and rebuild plan, floor joists are neatly sawn off, temporary supports are visible in several places, and the chimney has already been rebuilt. How long did the property survive after this renovation, though?

think ive got 2 or 3 more
Thank you Wales. for the pictures. I lived 1bk25 Burbury St.!940 to 49. I am enjoying reliving memories through the website & your pictures make them clearer. I remember being in bed when a bomb was dropped in Bridge St West and the sirens hadn't sounded ! I think 30 houses were destroyed. My friend Doreen Bailey's dad & mom were landlords of The Duke of Cambridge , (my dad wrote a reference for them to the brewery)before them it was Mr & Mrs Harris their daughter was Betty. Do you have photos of The Lord Byron? that was where my mom used to drink . the land lords were Mr & Mrs Johnson . they had a daughter Christine.

Jean.

hi peter.the pic of the half a house was the back of 128 taken on the 20.11.56 the sign says j an t walsh contractors which does suggest a rebuild. but there were slum clearances going on then as my last picture showing the school was also taken in 1956 and you can clearly see the waste ground where houses once stood. the other photos were taken in the late 60s. farm st school was still there in 1978 but i think the houses were well gone by then. wales.

hi jean. so glad you are enjoying what pics of have. most of what i have are relevant to me as i grew up in those parts. i have about 30 of lennox st but they only about an inch and half square in size. i am going to try and put them on site. god at this rate i will get banned for taking up so much space on the site. take it you have seen the pic of the duke. this is the only one i have of the lord bryon. wales.

Attachments

• lord byron.jpg
    lord byron.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
sorry jules. thats gone too thats why these old photos are so precious we will never see the likes of these pubs again wales

thanks keith. since becoming a member i have received so much help and advise its just so nice to be able to give a bit back. wales

Hi Wales,
Very interesting photos. Oh how I wish I had taken photos of Aston when I was a youngster. What memories they would evoke now! What a lot of posts I would have on this Forum!
Do you know much of the families in Bridge St West in the 50s. When I was at Charles Arthur St school in Nechells, there was a boy in my class named Bruce Turvey and I believe he lived there. I remember it was a long street so the odds are slim I suppose.

hi jean. so glad you are enjoying what pics of have. most of what i have are relevant to me as i grew up in those parts. i have about 30 of lennox st but they only about an inch and half square in size. i am going to try and put them on site. god at this rate i will get banned for taking up so much space on the site. take it you have seen the pic of the duke. this is the only one i have of the lord bryon. wales.
Thank you Wales , yes I saw The Duke. . Keep up the good work,
Hope everyone will help Kieth to keep the site open.

jean.

Back