• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bridge Street West

here you go martin a map showing 5/320 marked in pink...it was melbourne place not terrace...didnt realise you backed onto what was to become harry lucas school..

lyn

bridge st west map showing back of 320.jpg

martin to go with the map on the previous post here is a photo dated 1964 showing the queens head pub on the corner so the entrance to melbourne place must be just past the pub round about where the dark van is parked or just a little way past it

lyn

Bridge Street West Hockley The Queens Head Pub on Cor30-9-1964 Ref 32-19.jpg

Thank you Lyn for the map and picture
Brings back to me so many memories
I will be trawling through my parents photo albums so may have some pictures of Bridge St West to post

here you go martin a map showing 5/320 marked in pink...it was melbourne place not terrace...didnt realise you backed onto what was to become harry lucas school..

lyn

View attachment 151428
Hello Lyn
being unfamiliar with reading this type of map are you able to explain to me what the buildings to the rear of number 5 marked on the map 2/11 and 3/11 refer to.Are they houses?
thanks

Hello Lyn
being unfamiliar with reading this type of map are you able to explain to me what the buildings to the rear of number 5 marked on the map 2/11 and 3/11 refer to.Are they houses?
thanks

quite right martin the houses are 1.2.3 and 4 back of 11 burbury st with a shared yard and the 2 squares you see in the yard are the shared toilets

lyn

Has anyone got any photos of Richmond Terrace, Bridge Street West, please?
Hi Carolina, about 9 years ago you were asking for pictures of Richmond Terrace, Bridge St West. Lyn posted a couple of images, I don't know if you ever resolved this but I'm fairly certain that one of Lyn's images was in fact Richmond Terrace.
The reasons I think this are:
The picture on the left seems to show house no. 87 (see map).
The 'shop' at No. 85 in 1955 was a dining rooms, probably different by 1960 but I don't have a Kelly's for that year.
You can see the lamp-post in front of the terrace in both pictures.
You can also see a distinctive black box on the wall of the house in the terrace.
Counting the houses between entries (on the picture and the map) works out the same.

Attachments

• richmond-terrace-query.jpg
    richmond-terrace-query.jpg
    660.6 KB · Views: 37
  • bridge-st-west.jpg
    bridge-st-west.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 39
Hi Carolina, about 9 years ago you were asking for pictures of Richmond Terrace, Bridge St West. Lyn posted a couple of images, I don't know if you ever resolved this but I'm fairly certain that one of Lyn's images was in fact Richmond Terrace.
The reasons I think this are:
The picture on the left seems to show house no. 87 (see map).
The 'shop' at No. 85 in 1955 was a dining rooms, probably different by 1960 but I don't have a Kelly's for that year.
You can see the lamp-post in front of the terrace in both pictures.
You can also see a distinctive black box on the wall of the house in the terrace.
Counting the houses between entries (on the picture and the map) works out the same.
Brummy-lad Its marvellous how even 9 years later someone finds more info. Many thanks and appreciated.

Brummy-lad Its marvellous how even 9 years later someone finds more info. Many thanks and appreciated.
No problem Carolina, I am researching images of Lennox Street to put on the map and that image turned up, I was quite intrigued (I love those terraces and that one was particularly cute) so my research was diverted for a while. I would like to know what shop was at No. 85 though, there was no listing for it in the Kelly's 1964.

No problem Carolina, I am researching images of Lennox Street to put on the map and that image turned up, I was quite intrigued (I love those terraces and that one was particularly cute) so my research was diverted for a while. I would like to know what shop was at No. 85 though, there was no listing for it in the Kelly's 1964.
My aunt and uncle lived No 6.

My great-grandfather Joseph Alexander Burton (1879-1928), a brassfounder's polisher, lived at 9 Bridge Street West from about 1911 to 1928 (when he wasn't at war) and it is where he died. Any information on Joseph or photographs of No 9. would be gratefully received.
Jason

i am posting these photos for new member bob lees...bob just looking at the number on the door and it looks more like it say number 19 but it could be i need an eye test

photo 2 bobs dad outside no 105
photo 1 bobs gran...grandad..dad and uncle outside no 105bob lees family.jpeg

Attachments

• bob lees dad ouside house 105 bridge st west 1920s.JPG
    bob lees dad ouside house 105 bridge st west 1920s.JPG
    850.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Lyn. After tarting it up a bit, I would say it is no 2 in the centre, with some whitish lines on either side, which make it look like a double number? //

ScreenHunter 6216.jpg

I also thought it was a No. 2 and certainly the same house in both pictures.
hello - the census definitely says 105 Bridge Street West - could it have been a 'court' at Bridge st - hence number 2 - or a different location, although that would seem unlikely - cheers Bob

hello - the census definitely says 105 Bridge Street West - could it have been a 'court' at Bridge st - hence number 2 - or a different location, although that would seem unlikely - cheers Bob
Yes there's a good chance it was 2 back of 105, on your second picture you can see the entry to the left of the door.

Attachments

• bridge-st-west.jpg
    bridge-st-west.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 8
Back