• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bridge Street/holliday Street Old House

They do seem to do some maintenance from time to time.

I'm just surprised that nothing has been done with them. With a bit of work they'd make an ideal little suite for the Premier Inn that they are pretty much in the grounds of anyway, or even City Centre apartments.

I can only think that there is maybe an issue with water supply or some such which means that they can't be easily converted.

They do seem to do some maintenance from time to time.

I'm just surprised that nothing has been done with them. With a bit of work they'd make an ideal little suite for the Premier Inn that they are pretty much in the grounds of anyway, or even City Centre apartments.

I can only think that there is maybe an issue with water supply or some such which means that they can't be easily converted.
I
Newbie here, I have read this thread from beginning to the last post in march with great interest because I was born in holliday street and lived there until I was 12. My mother was also born in the street in 1920, she is still with us at 100 years old but she can,t remember anything about the house and neither can I but I hope someone can find more about it. I can remember the sawmills on that site l think it was called Williams and Farmer. I think that Blue Circle Cement were based there also but it was a long time ago and memories tend to warp slightly. The thread seems to have gone quiet now but I hope someone will have another go.

hello splinter and welcome..if you could give us the names of your parents and what years they were at holliday st we maybe able to find them on the online electoral rolls so at least you would have the address...thats a great age for your mom

lyn :)

hello splinter and welcome..if you could give us the names of your parents and what years they were at holliday st we maybe able to find them on the online electoral rolls so at least you would have the address...thats a great age for your mom

lyn :)
Thankyou for the prompt reply Lyn but I think our wires are crossed somewhere, the housethat my mother and I couldn,t remember wasn,t our house but the house on the corner of holliday st. and bridge st. that the thread was about. Cheers.

ahh now i get it :rolleyes: :D it like that with me...my brother who is 3 years youngers than i am can remember buildings and people in the street that we grew up in but i cant...

lyn

A side view photo of the house on the junction of Bridge Street and Holliday Street today with the redevelopment activity at Arena Central in the background across the road. I had allows assumed it was part of a longer terrace but after reading the thread it seems to have always been just the single house. I wonder if the land it stands on belongs to one of the developments or is separately owned?

Attachments

• Old House Bridge Street.JPG
    Old House Bridge Street.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
What is that hideous chunk of graffiti-covered concrete behind the cottage, do you know please?

Maurice :cool:

Excellent view of the house Pedro. I wondered, if they’re planning to demolish it would they clear the area around it ? Or they may be using it for storage? But hopefully it is going to stay. Viv.

A side view photo of the house on the junction of Bridge Street and Holliday Street today with the redevelopment activity at Arena Central in the background across the road. I had allows assumed it was part of a longer terrace but after reading the thread it seems to have always been just the single house. I wonder if the land it stands on belongs to one of the developments or is separately owned?
Great picture. Hopefully they are clearing all the weeds & brambles out of the garden area to stop any more wall falling down.

Love these pictures, not only do they show the cottage, they also show what used to be where my place of work is.
Thanks for the old photos. Its interesting to see how the area used to be. For a good view of the building from the other side as it sits just outside the Arena Central development today you can zoom in on the live camera at

Got that old house from Holliday Street near the aqueduct in this shot of the new 3 Arena Central. Close to Bridge Street.

I see all the silver cladding is on the new HMRC building. They had only just starting putting it on when I started working from home.

It's the Blockbusters buildings next to the TETRIS building (Holiday Inn Express). They must have finished it in the last 5 months, although the lower floors haven't been cladded yet.

Back