• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bridge Street/holliday Street Old House

What is that hideous chunk of graffiti-covered concrete behind the cottage, do you know please?

Maurice :cool:

Excellent view of the house Pedro. I wondered, if they’re planning to demolish it would they clear the area around it ? Or they may be using it for storage? But hopefully it is going to stay. Viv.

A side view photo of the house on the junction of Bridge Street and Holliday Street today with the redevelopment activity at Arena Central in the background across the road. I had allows assumed it was part of a longer terrace but after reading the thread it seems to have always been just the single house. I wonder if the land it stands on belongs to one of the developments or is separately owned?
Great picture. Hopefully they are clearing all the weeds & brambles out of the garden area to stop any more wall falling down.

Love these pictures, not only do they show the cottage, they also show what used to be where my place of work is.
Thanks for the old photos. Its interesting to see how the area used to be. For a good view of the building from the other side as it sits just outside the Arena Central development today you can zoom in on the live camera at

Got that old house from Holliday Street near the aqueduct in this shot of the new 3 Arena Central. Close to Bridge Street.

I see all the silver cladding is on the new HMRC building. They had only just starting putting it on when I started working from home.

It's the Blockbusters buildings next to the TETRIS building (Holiday Inn Express). They must have finished it in the last 5 months, although the lower floors haven't been cladded yet.

It's the Blockbusters buildings next to the TETRIS building (Holiday Inn Express). They must have finished it in the last 5 months, although the lower floors haven't been cladded yet.

To think people think these eyesores are nice , plus well designed . Five months just about sums it up , what a mishmash

To think people think these eyesores are nice , plus well designed . Five months just about sums it up , what a mishmash
It's taken a lot longer to build - a couple of years - it's just the silver cladding that has gone on since March. Normally, I'd be working directly opposite & so have seen all the Arena Central development go up, included HSBC building. Quite fascinating to watch.

In twenty years, given the way Birmingham authorities plan things these modern structures may well be gone and new pleasant looking buildings or more eyesores- time will tell - could take their place.

There is a boarded up house/building at the junction of bridge street and Holliday st Birmingham Would anyone know what it was.
thanks col

I’m moving your post to an existing thread which you’ll find of interest. We’ve discussed this house at length. Viv.

Edit. Now moved.

There seems to be some movement on the house. Views from Google Streetview. There's a To Let sign up and bricks are stacked up against the back wall. Viv.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230719_072741_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20230719_072741_Maps.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20230719_072638_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20230719_072638_Maps.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 10
Planning links don't work very well:

Planning consent 2020
1689788404823.png

If anyone wants to visit the planning site and search for that application number there are some documents about the history -some I don't understand but some is interesting.

Additional 2021
1689788547566.png

think we know its a listed building and looking at the planning apps over the years there has been quite a few different ideas as to what to do with it..

lyn

Back