• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brides through the years.

Humph what classy photos outside the Oratory. Great crease in the gents trousers who I presume was the best man. Fabulous.

Love these photos - I'll have to dig some out when I get chance.
Unfortunately I threw my photos (and the dress!) onto the tip at Halesowen when OH was kicked into touch. :rolleyes: I'll have to ask my sister if she's got any copies.

View attachment 60534

Great-Aunt Dolly and Great-Uncle Fred are two of the guests, but every one else is a mystery. It seems to be a press photo.

It's full of characters, like the Lothario with the moustache in the foreground, and all the children.

Could any one make a guess at the date?

View attachment 60537
Hi
This is my grandparents wedding in 1936 in Birmingham. My grandmother's dress was hand made in a gold fabric. The vail is in gold with a scallop edge and a head dress of laurel leaves. My grandmother treasured her wedding dress and after she passed away i have to confess to trying it on while i still had the chance, she had a very slim figure. It must have been stunning to wear on her wedding day.

This photo is my mothers cousin Marion Smith who married Donald Haylock in 1934. The reason I know this is that I would often go round to Mom's before she died in 2004 and get the old photo's out. I would ask who people were and write all the names on the back in pencil.

Marie_Smiths_Wedding.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This photo is my mothers cousin Marion Smith who married Donald Haylock in 1934. The reason I know this is that I would often go round to Mom's before she died in 2004 and get the old photo's out. I would ask who people were and write all the names on the back in pencil.

I can't tell which hairstyle it is, but both the Marcel Wave & the Finger-Wave were going strong in the early 30s

Blimey Aiden you are very up to date with the hairstyles of the 30's:rolleyes:. I thought it was me who was the hairdresser:beam:

The Marcel wave was done with a curling iron & the finger wave was done with the hair wet and with fingers & comb, then the lady would be put under the dryer,

Jean.

Jean when I started in hairdressing we had to learn how to do both. I can't imagine them doing it today. Mind you it was a long time ago:D!

Here is a lovely photo of my aunt and uncle who are still together in the same home they bought when they married. My aunt will be 89 tomorrow. I love them both.:)

Back