• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brides through the years.

Arkrite

master brummie
Is there any interest in starting a thread showing Brides, Bridesmaids, Matrons of Honor and maybe the odd Groom ? I have tried a search and nothing came up ( not even in Other Conflicts Thread ) Looking through lynnes old photos it becomes clear that the 1960s were very adventurous in the design of dresses. This should however include All ages of photo. Maybe your wedding dress was a stunning creation ( but aren't they all to the Bride concerned) Lets not forget the austerity of the war years.
I would start it off now but I am baby sitting the grankids at their place and have only my netbook. When I get home later tonight I will kick start the steam driven one and scan some in.

Right who is game for it ?

Back from babysitting and now running with the full kit.

.The photos show Lynne's dress, bridesmaids dresses, Lynne and Pa but can anyone remember using the Frances Foley shop in the background. Photos taken in Halesowen. Finally the newlyweds in London. The street photographer needs shooting.Date 1968

Lynne's sister Carol was married a few years earlier at the same church in Halesowen. Lynne is the tall bridesmaid. The styles are very different

Finally ,Lynne and Ken 1968, her mom and dad Kate and Albert 1940, and her Uncle Tommy and ? 1930s ?.
This Tommy was a Wellington bomber pilot. I am uncertain which side of the family he was on.

My wedding photos to my first wife were destroyed in a fire so you don't get to see me.Sorry something went wrong with the layout.

Last edited:
A couple of mine March 1970 at St. Margarets of Antioch, Halesowen. Mom & Dad December 1944 Holy Trinity Smethwick

Brilliant. Wonder what the story is about your Moms dress. I recall stories in my family about dresses being made out of parachute silk. One story I read on the web was a German Airman parachuted to his capture in England and a young lady was given the silk for her dress and errm ...extras.Thanks for sharing the pics.....arkrite.

Hi, there is a story to Mom's Dress. When she worked for Birmingham City Council in the war, the dress was owned by a girl called Olive Carpenter (I think that was her name) who won the Miss Great Britain competition in that dress. Mom needed a wedding dress and the girl sold it to Mom for some clothing coupons. The girls Mom was livid that she had sold it and didn't speak to her for ages. You are right when you say that the undies were of parachute silk. The dress, with mine is still in a box on my wardrobe ( the undies are not)

regards Heather

Thank you Evergreen for an amazing story. By the way your bridesmaid dresses were an unusual colour for that time.
To all you other ladies I ask that you climb under the bed,look in the loft or have a shufti on top of the wardrobe. Where ever the wedding photos are get them out and post up some . Any good stories worth the telling lets hear them.....arkrite.

Have recently come across this photo, ciro;1935, my late wifes Aunty Alice, it fact Enid is the little girl in the
white bonnett in her Moms arms, her brother Hoss is in the front age five or so, the one is Enids Mom +dad 1928

Last edited:
What lovely photos Bernard.

My dress was a copy of one in Lewis' store. Cost £11. the bridesmaids dresses and shoes were a nice emerald green, trouble was, everytime they moved, the dye came out of their shoes and there was emerald green snow.

It would be great if we could have some more brides photo's here. Will have to try digging my grandparents photos out

Here is a double wedding from June 1909. The wedding took place at St Peter's in Harborne, with the reception at the family house on Lordswood Road. The groom on the right is my husband's grandfather. The bride on the left is my husband's great-aunt. We are very lucky because we have the guest list, present list, order of service and a menu card signed by all the guests.

Here is the wedding of my maternal grandparents in 1924 - a far less elaborate affair!

And I think that this is the earliest wedding photo I can manage - my paternal grandparents in December 1903

me and my sisters at my wedding 1972 St Johns Harborne

I love this photo taken about 1900 Michael's great aunt and uncle. His grandparents are on this one. His grandfather is behind the groom and his Nan is on his right. His grandfather was killed at the Somme.

Last two......

(1) My aunt's wedding in 1929 (my father is the cheeky boy on the left of the front row. He is the groom in the next picture!). I like this one as it is one of the few I have that includes my paternal grandparents and their children.

(2) My parents' wedding in 1948. My mother and grandmother (standing next to my mother) made all the dresses. Twenty-seven years later, when I was married in the same church, my mother and I followed the example and made all the dresses. (Just realised that I odn't actually have any photos of my wedding loaded on my computer!)

Thanks for posting these lovely photos. I reckon it was about late 1920s that people started to smile on wedding photos. I can see one or two half smiles. It has taken a while to get this thread rolling but I think it is worthwhile.

Here is a double wedding from June 1909. The wedding took place at St Peter's in Harborne, with the reception at the family house on Lordswood Road. The groom on the right is my husband's grandfather. The bride on the left is my husband's great-aunt. We are very lucky because we have the guest list, present list, order of service and a menu card signed by all the guests.
Fantastic Picture - Wow

The first picture is of my Grandfather and Grandmother which was sent to me from America by a long lost and distant cousin a short time ago. None of my family had seen a photograph of their wedding. They were married at St. Peter's, St. peter's Place in 1901. It is probably taken in the back yard of 25 St. Mark's Street, Ladywood.
The other two are of my parents wedding in 1928 at the Oratory, Edgbaston.

Back