• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brickworks

From the web site that Mikejee suggested 1934 Photograph. Factory is The Whitworth works(Pugh's)
Thanks devonjim it's a very good photograph. Just trying to orientate . Looks like the front row of houses is Sydney rd and on the 1920 map the large brickworks would be on the site of Globe Brick and Tiles? The land looks totally scarred by workings.

Questions about Bricks.

I am having trouble locating the Brick Industry!

In the victorian expansion there must have been a huge demand for bricks. I have Irish ancestors who were employed as brickmakers, brickburners, brick carties and brickyard labourers. They lived in central Birmingham so where were they at work?

I have read that mechanisation in the Brick Industry was patchy up to World War 1 and only faily universal in the 1930's. Was Birmingham making bricks with steam power fairly early?

Apparently brickmaking was often seasonal. Was this the case in Birmingham where the demand was so high? If it was, what did the workforce do in the winter?

Anyone know of any work that has been done on this?

Thanks
There was a brickworks in the area now occupied by camberbest building products is now, just off garrison lane.

Attachments

• brickworks.png
    brickworks.png
    642.5 KB · Views: 11
Back