• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brickwall

anthea

master brummie
Can anyone help? I am looking for birth details of my 2 x Gt Grandfather Elijah Parry. He may have been christened at St Bartholomew's church, Edgbaston, and according to LDS site he was born in 1817. ???

Alf

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
Its any good Anthea

Elijah Born 1817 Birmingham

Married Ruth (Born 1819) about 1839 Birmingham got I child Edward Born 1819 that can't be right but he's down as their child.
[SIZE=+1]Household:[/SIZE]

Name RelationMarital StatusGenderAgeBirthplaceOccupationDisability Edward PARRY Head M Male 41 Birmingham, Warwick, England Labourer Emelia PARRY Wife M Female 39 Birmingham, Warwick, England -- Emelia Jane PARRY Daur U Female 16 Birmingham, Warwick, England Warehouse Girl No Employment Fredrick PARRY Son Male 13 Birmingham, Warwick, England Scholar Earnest PARRY Son Male 10 Birmingham, Warwick, England Scholar Jessy Luesa PARRY Daur Female 7 Birmingham, Warwick, England Scholar Herbert Richard PARRY Son Male 3 Birm, Warwick, England Elijah PARRY Father W Male 64 Birm, Warwick, England Tin Man
[SIZE=+1]Source Information:[/SIZE]
Dwelling 1 Back Of 6 Berner St Census PlaceBirmingham, Warwick, England Family History Library Film 1341716 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 2998 / 66 Page Number

Mrs T

Proud To Be A Brummie.
Have you seen the census's for 1861 and 1881?
Think he's the man I found if he was married to a Ruth.

Hard to find his birth as it was before 1837..

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Elijah Parry married Ruth Bracey registered Kings norton Sept 1839
reference Volume 18 page 392,certificate will have fathers name.

Elijah and Ruth had 5 sons all baptised St. Phillips
Edward born 31st March 1840 bap. 7th June 1841
Hephzibar born 30th Jan 18 42 bap. 7th Feb 1843 died june 1843
Elijah born 4th nov 1844 bap. 9th Dec 1844
Enoch born 2nd nov 1846 bap, 30th Oct 1848
Joseph born 1st Oct 1848 bap. 30th Oct 1848

In 1851 living sherborne street Elijah age 34 Carriage lamp manufacturer

bren

master brummie
Hi Anthea

Official BMD records didn't start until 1837 so for Elijah you need the Parish records. I looked at that one on the LDS site and it was submitted, in other words, not taken directly from the Parish Records but given by someone else doing their own research into this family.

bren

anthea

master brummie
Re Brickwall

Hi bren, Alberta, Mrs T and Alf --most grateful for your information. I do have most of this already, and it seems I really need the Parish records. I imagine these are housed in the Library in town, but I'm not able to get to Brum. I've done all my research so far on the net. I will have to post a request for someone to have a look for me if they are visiting the Library for their own research. As I'm still finding my way around this site, I hope I click all the right buttons. :redface::D

Parry353

Brummie babby
Hello Is anyone still out there. Elijah is also my great great grand father. If you look at the Alberta 10th November 2007 one correction- Hephzibar was a girl old testament name wife of King Hezekiah and mother of King Manasseh. Elijah and Ruth married 14th July 1839 so just celebrated 174 years ( I did a card). I cannot find date of death for Elijah but Ruth died registered Dec 1885 age 67. Elijah's son Enoch was my great grand father married Emma Elizabeth Hawkes register April-June 1877 vol 6d page 190. Emma born 1852 died 1921 age 69 (registered June) Enoch's son Frederick Edward was my grandfather born 1878 I think died 1922 age 43 reg June vol 6d page 558. His son Cyril, my uncle, said Fred was a horrible man, wife beater. He married Jane Halley 1897, cannot find when Jane died. Fred's other children were Frederick, Maud, Dol (Dorothy?) (and Bert and Cyril). I do not have any dates or other info-they were not a close family. Of Elijah's other sons can only find that Joseph likely died 1898 but cannot be sure it is him. Fred and Jane gave birth to Bert Walter my dad 21st March 1913 died 2001. Back to Elijah I have the marriage certificate and his father was Joseph and Ruth's dad was Thomas Bracey . Enoch was a master brass founder living at 46 Gt Kings Street 1881 census. I am Roger son of Bert . With my son Richard we have linked seven generations from Joseph to him. Do I have any remote cousins out there with more to add. One thing they all had in common was that were all poor working class! Hoping to hear from someone.

clarkie

Exiled Brummie
The following death record may help:Elijah Parry born about 1816 died Q4/1892, age 76, Birmingham 6d - 71.

Clarkie

Parry353

Brummie babby
Thank you for this clarkie Exiled Brummie Do we have a connection? Are you through Enoch and maybe Fred ? at least someone is still active!

anthea

master brummie
Parry353, we have a connection with Elijah and Ruth Parry. I am descended from his eldest son Edward who is my great-grandfather and Edward's son Alfred Enoch is my grandfather. His son, Alfred is my father and my maiden name is Parry.

Elijah and Ruth Bracey were married in 1839 at St Bartholomew's Church, Edgbaston. Elijah's father, Joseph, a Brazier by trade, married Pheobe Handle in 1808 in the same church.

I have researched the family since 2005 and have the usual certificates.

I am happy to answer any questions you may have, if that will help.

Anthea

Parry353

Brummie babby
Anthea Thank you so much. I got back to Joseph from Elijah and Ruth's marriage certificate which is the only one I have ( I presume you have that?) You will have noted they were married 174 years last Sunday. so pleased to add Pheobe. ( I cannot do paragraphs on this !!) Do you have any decendents before that? and exact dates of birth and death of Elijah, Ruth, Joseph and Phoebe ( I may have Joseph died 1849 but not sure it is him) Following your list that puts me and you in the same time frame so we are distant cousins. My grandfather Fred and yours were 1st cousins. So my dad Bert and your dad were 2nd cousins so I think that makes us 3rd cousins? Did you start Brickwall? I only found it because I googled Elijah Parry1818 as a long shot and was amazed to find a site. I would welcome anything you have which fleshes out what I have thank you Roger Parry

anthea

master brummie
Hello Roger, Yes, it looks as though we are definitely connected - cousins about three times removed. Yes, I did start this thread way back in 2007. I have been checking my records (too hot to do anything else!) and here are a few details:
Joseph Parry married Pheobe Handle at St Bartholomew's Church in Edgbaston on 19th June, 1808. Joseph signed his name and Pheobe made her mark X. I have a copy of the Parish Record (from the Library archives) I didn't get back any further, much to my frustration, but someone else did, and I can tell you about him later.
Elijah b.1817 d.1892. He married Ruth Bracey also at St Bartholomew's Church in Edgbaston on July 14 1839 and I do have the Marriage Certificate. Father of Elijah, Joseph was a Brazier and Ruth's father, Thomas was a Burnisher.
Elijah died on 14th October 1892 age 76 years. He had lived with his eldest son Edward. Ruth lived with Enoch until she died, I believe.
This could go on, but I think we should send a PM (private message from this site) which I haven't done before so that we could perhaps exchange e-mail addresses which would make things simpler?

Best Wishes, Anthea

Parry353

Brummie babby
Anthea Thank you so much. I would like to send a private post. I tried to send one to Clarkie but do not know if it worked-It would be a big help if Clarkie would do us a favour and say yea or nae to whether it arrived. I will risk it anyway and try and send one. I only started this research as a curiosity and a friends daughter started me off (actually did all the work back to Elijah in about 2 hours). I always assumed that with the name Parry I would be visiting Wales fairly early on so surprised to get back to 1790 ish with Joseph and Pheobe. I suppose they came over in the industrial revolution? cc Clarkie please

Parry353

Brummie babby
Anthea I only did the personal post to Clarkie the other day but I cannot remember how I did it. If you have worked it out will you send me a test and if it is confidential I will send you my e mail Roger

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Click where Clarkies name is in blue in one of the posts above. Out of the list that appears choose send Instant message , click and send message.

Alternatively, Click into blue user name, click into 'view profile', then choose 'Personal message' write message and send

Last edited:

anthea

master brummie
Hello Alberta, Thanks for the tip. I have sent IMs before but I wanted to send a PM which I did yesterday or the day before to Roger. I haven't tried to send a PM before and I don't know whether Roger received it. Also we need to know whether PMs are confidential in that the recipient is the only person who can see the forwarded email address. Could you clarify please?