• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brickmaking in Birmingham

sospiri

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
We don't appear to have a general industrial section, so I'll stick this enquiry here.

Browsing my Alan Godfrey maps, I found that the Sparkhill & Greet 1903 map had two current brickworks and two disused brickworks on that one map. Burbary and Greet were current, and Tyseley and what appears to be another on the northern edge of the map were disused. In 1903, much of the area was still undeveloped open land and most of the houses in Knowle Road, where we moved in 1941, were not built until 1905. The land upon which they were built previously belonged to the Earl of Malmesbury. (Source: Deeds of the house when my parents sold it)

Obviously, with all the development to come and a plentiful supply of clay, there was plenty of work, if somewhat dirty and not well paid. Most probably our house was built with bricks from Burbury, which was one of my illegal childhood playgrounds with its numerous newts. Even the rumours of some watchman wandering around with a shotgun didn't put us off. More likely the anger of my mother when we arrived home with shoes covered in clay was a greater deterrent!

But to get to the point, did these brickworks sell to a wider area than the immediate vicinity, and where did the hard blue engineering bricks come from?

Maurice

If anyone is researching the Brick trade I would suggest trying to get a copy of The Trade associations of Birmingham Brick Masters 1864 to 1933 by Albert H Stephenson published 1933

Back