• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brickmakers, Publicans & Watermen

sez

master brummie
Hi all

I've recently discovered a few new occupations in the family and wondered if anyone had tips on where to look for records etc.

I found an ancestor of mine worked at Stockfield Brick Works and I've got some more info but what I really want and it's a long shot, is a book by Albert H Stephenson called The Trade Associations of Birmingham Brick Masters 1864-1933 [FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif](London: The Chichester Press), written in 1933. No luck finding it so far (to buy or loan out from library), but got a few extracts from google. It's available for reference at Bham Library just ideally wanted to buy it.

[/FONT]
The other family members appear to be watermen & publicans in Droitwich - I think I found the pub - The Gardeners Arms on Vines Lane, but when I asked about the history of the pub they didn't tell me anything - I assume they don't know. Would there be a register of Publicans? This was the Everton family from c1770 onwards. I've not researched fully into occupations where there might be some records so any advice appreciated.

I got my copy of the book at a book fair some years back

Hi all

I've recently discovered a few new occupations in the family and wondered if anyone had tips on where to look for records etc.

I found an ancestor of mine worked at Stockfield Brick Works and I've got some more info but what I really want and it's a long shot, is a book by Albert H Stephenson called The Trade Associations of Birmingham Brick Masters 1864-1933 (London: The Chichester Press), written in 1933. No luck finding it so far (to buy or loan out from library), but got a few extracts from google. It's available for reference at Bham Library just ideally wanted to buy it.

The other family members appear to be watermen & publicans in Droitwich - I think I found the pub - The Gardeners Arms on Vines Lane, but when I asked about the history of the pub they didn't tell me anything - I assume they don't know. Would there be a register of Publicans? This was the Everton family from c1770 onwards. I've not researched fully into occupations where there might be some records so any advice appreciated.

The Gardener's Arms are almost next door to where the Salt works was, and close to the Droitwich canal, which was used by the salt works, so Waterman probably refers to a canal boatman

ive got similar carolina...in my old occupations and trades book it says..small boat operator also petty officer in charge of deck work aboard a ship..

lyn

Yes I've read up to get definition of waterman and also the links to the different careers. My ancestor John Everton (c1803 - 1885) occupation goes as follows:
1841 - waterman Place: Island Droitwich, further down census it says Lower Vines.
1851 - Labourer Place: Hallow
1861 - Ag Labourer Place: ?Matty Road, Hallow
1871 - Waterman Place: Grantham, Droitwich
1881 - Retired barge owner Place: Grantham House

His father, also John (1770 - 1851) was a publican living on vines lane in 1851.

His brother Edward in 1861 looks to be a 'publican & carrier by water employing 3 men' but he returns to his original occupation of tailor by 1871.

On another note - John's son (1803 - 1851), his son Elijah was a boat builder died 1884 and over £1000 went to his widow (of Ventnor Cottages) then in 1903 there's another probate and just under £800 goes to a spinister (I think his daughter) it just says 'former grant Nov 1885' why would this happen?

Don't know if any of these directory entries are useful. Remember that date is publication date. In the case of the early directories (up to 1850), this could be 2 years before

1840 Bentleys Directory
George Everton, boat owner & waterman , Friar St
John Everton, beerseller In Liberties (no idea what that phrase means)

1841 Pigots directory
John Everton. Seller of beer , In Liberties

1855 Billings Directory
George Everton, Hop Pole Inn and cnal & Severn Carrier, Friar St
John Everton, canal & Severn carrier, Grantham

1860 Kellys directory :
Edward William Everton is landlord of The Price of Wales pub and barge owner, Queen St
John Everton is barge owner at Grantham (which is to the west end of Droitwich, by a bridge.
George Everton , landlord of The Hop Pole pub and barge owner, Friar St.

1870 Kellys
Edward Everton, barge owner, Quenn St
George Everton , landlord of The Hop Pole pub and barge owner, Friar St.
John Everton is barge owner at Grantham
John Bourne Everton, Coal dealer, Hanbury St

1873 Littleburys directory
Edward Everton, barge owner, Queen St
John Everton, barge owner , Grantham
John Bourne Everton, Coal dealer, Hanbury St
Mrs Mary Everton, Hop Pole Inn and barge owner, Friar St

1884 Kellys:
Edward William Everton is a private resident (he would need to be quite affluent or influential to be named at that time as a private resident), John is listed as lodging House, School house Green;, a Mrs Mary Everton is running the Hop Pole(presumably George had died) and John Bourne Everton is a dairyman in Hanbury St
1888 Kellys :.
Edward William Everton still private resident,
John Bourne Everton is a dairyman in Hanbury St

1892 Kellys
Charles Henry Everton. grocer, Hanbury St
Edward William Everton, draper, Queen St
John Bourne Everton, dairyman, Hanbury St
Thomas A Everton, coal & brick merchant, Hanbury St

There are also a number of different Evertons in the 1932 & 1940 Kellys

Lots to look into - yes I wondered if there was at one point some wealth or strong link to the community some of the addresses appear to be well to do areas. More to do, but this helps a lot and another pub name now to explore!

Back