• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

. Brewery Street

lesg128

george 1st
Hi Everyone
Hope I am at the right section.
Looking for info on Brewery Street , it may have gone. I've been told it was probably around the Heneage St. area. Hope you can help
Lesg128

Don,t Know of a Brewery St around Heneage St. Holt St had a brewery in it this ran of Heneage St at Gosta Green end maybe this St. had an early name. Dek

Lesg
There have been were three brewery streets. One was off newtown row, as already shown. It can be seen on the 1890 map at https://www.british-history.ac.uk/mapsheet.aspx?compid=55193&sheetid=10094&ox=2007&oy=2524&zm=1&czm=1&x=489&y=61 .In the early 1800s there was one off Darwin st. also, and one in Smethwick and another going from Holyhead road to Brearly St, but , as you mention Heneage St , you are probably looking for the one that between 1883 and 1884 became Adams St. I haven’t searched all the directories, but, although all these have beer retailers listed in the directories, only the one off Holyhead road seems list a brewery at any time after 1841
Mike

Thanks all for the very useful info on Brewery Street. I think I will go along with Master Brummie. The street I am looking for was around in 1867 so it looks as tho the name change to Adam St. fits the bill.
Seasons Greetings to you all. May 2010 be a great one for Birmingham History Forum.
Lesg128

lesg128: I can vouch for mikejee's details. I grew up in Adams Street and a lot of my ancestors lived there, according to my research. The same research told me that Adams Street had a former name of Brewery Street - although it didn't tell me why the name was changed...!

Cheers,

Jim Pedley (pedlarman)

pedlarman
Thanks for confirming mikejees research and also for indicating my error re: Masterbrummie . Should have said 'thanks mikejee'
Regards
lesg128

Back