• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brewery History

Hi, Alf,

Had a glance at your link regarding defunct breweries and became a litle nostalgic when I found the Squirrel motif of the Holt Brewery Company. This is where I went for my first job when I left Loxton Street Seniors in January 1943.

I was office boy on the reception desk with Mr. Crisp, the commisionaire. He was a retired Chief Petty Officer, having served almost a lifetime in the Navy. And he was well able to keep us kids under control...

In respnse to the bell, one day, I slid open the trap and who should be standing there but Jim Murphy, the manager of The Farcroft Hotel, in Handsworth. He was a well-known Birmingham boxing promoter, and standing beside him was none other than Freddie Mills, who went on to become Light-Heavyweight World Champion...!

Cheers,

Jim
icon14.gif

My brother worked at the Holte brewery and Ansells so did Pete at the latter. I have a medal with the squirrel motif on. Hope this is clear. Jean.

This is a chauffers cap from Ansells and it quite rare Pete has been told. Jean. Oops it didn't attach will try later sorry. Jean.

Hello, G G Jean,

Can you tell me the period in which your brother worked at Holt Brewery? And was it still in Holt Street, Gosta Green?

I worked there from 1943 for four years until I decided that I was due for call-up for National Service, and I decided to get myself in some kind of physical condition. So I took a job labouring...

I am not sure when Ansells took over Holt Brewery. I think it was during my National Service - around about 1948/49. I remember that a mate, who still worked for Holt, writing to tell me he was being transferred to Ansells, down Aston, so I guess the takeover took place in the late Forties, sometime...

Cheers,

Jim pedley (pedlarman)
icon14.gif

Hi Jim my brothers name is Albert Lyndon and I think he was there in the early 60's then he too moved to Ansells and was one of the checkers. Pete started at Ansells around 1973. TTFN. Jean.

Isn't it funny how a forum can kick into life again.

This forum had not had an update since April 2008, then I put my append above, and we have had six updates since (and none of them related to my append)

Hi Jim my brothers name is Albert Lyndon and I think he was there in the early 60's then he too moved to Ansells and was one of the checkers. Pete started at Ansells around 1973. TTFN. Jean.

Hi, G G Jean,

Your brother, Albert, was working for Holt's in the early sixties, so I guess Ansells didn't close the place down when they took over...

But Holt's was eventually closed down as a brewery, because I believe it is now a pub popularly frequented by students of Aston University - although, I understand, it does have some competition from The Sacks Of Potatoes, on Gosta Green.

I wonder if the Sacks will ever close? That particular pub seems to have been in existence ever since I can remember. Certainly, it was operating when I used to go to the Delicea Cinema's Saturday matinees when I was a kid...

Cheers,

Jim Pedley (pedlarman)
icon14.gif

Jim Pete just informed me that Albert moved because Holte street closed. He also said none of the staff wanted to move as they loved it there but had not choice. Can't ask Albert the year as he is on his hols at the moment in India. Jean.

Back