• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brewer and Baker, Camp Hill

wessex

master brummie
How much money did Bank's Brewery spend on this rebuild back in the 80s?

Last used this xmas day 1990,it was dead then,and I believe it never really took off as was hoped.

Attachments

• Camp Hill Brewer and Baker.jpg
    Camp Hill Brewer and Baker.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 21
hiwessex
it was mainly used by certain clientele beleive me
it was , and in general apart from these people
whom will not name because of the powers of whom they are .
i doubt wether they use it now
and now giving the redevelopments of the area
i can only surmise its only a meeting of the blue noses
before the match days . i do remember when they built
first built that pub
best wishes astonian ;;;

Sounds an interesting tale Astonian,but of course tact and diplomacy won't let you make it public.

Not sure how long it's been shut now,but as a listed building do hope they can find a use for it.

hi wessex
yes it was a very intresting tale and deplomatic was the
word and it could not have been brought to press
even today
astonian ;;

I used the pub before and after it was renovated and I think the reason it was renovated was because at the time it was a very busy house.

If I remember at the time the gaffer's name was Ken (I could be mistaken about the name) a tall smart chap who wore gold rimmed glasses. He use to attend our lodge on his night off on a Thurday. I think he was an ex copper.

I suppose like all pubs its now having a hard time, well I no longer drink there and that must be a big financial loss.

Phil

I too used to drink in the Brewer and Baker and it was a very respectable pub with a mainly working class clientelle. At lunchtime it catered for the local businesses and offices. Disaster came when the new ring road was built and the only way to get near by car was to drive past the pub down to Coventry Road then turn back up a side street (I think Bedford Road). There was no longer any passing trade.

Perhaps I am one of the persons Astonian cannot name.

Old Boy

Well gentlemen the answer to why any pub looses trade can be found within each customer.

Wonder when it closed down?

Robert

The pub is where it has always been, they have just altered the roads around it. Instead of Camp Hill going to the right of the pub it now runs to the left of it and cuts the pub off from the rest of Ravenhurst St.

Phil

This is a picture of the pub taken from Tom Goldings book "The Brum We Knew"
He says in the book that the pub was built in 1830.

Attachments

• Camp Hill Brewer & Baker Ravenhurst St.jpg
    Camp Hill Brewer & Baker Ravenhurst St.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
How much money did Bank's Brewery spend on this rebuild back in the 80s?

Last used this xmas day 1990,it was dead then,and I believe it never really took off as was hoped.
My mother was the 1st land lord of the brewer after the refurb, we moved in early 1988. As I remember from my childhood there was that it had a busy lunch trade, couple of locals of an evening, and always busy of a weekend, especially when the blues were playing. I think it took around 6-9k a week in beer and food, and could go over 12k around the holidays. Was a lovely pub with some really good regulars, that always looked after the place (think thats where the secrecy comes in ) but we never had trouble as it was a true blue nose pub.

As what become of the pub was a shame, I know a nice lady took over who was a family friend back in the early 90s and then she moved on, but then it had some kind of fire, and has never re opened as a pub. Im sure work is being done on the building at the moment, but it will never re open as a pub.

Fond memories of the brewer and baker - l was a copper at Bradford st around 1981 .. we would pack the place on Saturday nights after a blues game .. remember lots of plates on the walls and lock inns… till whenever.. l was in single men’s quarters.. so it was a stumble home

Back