• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brennan Winifred B 1891

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
info for a member...lynn your gran was living at court 10 house 3 brearley st aston in 1891 but not with her parents...she is living with her aunt

head of house winifred costello widow age 59 born ireland
patrick costello son aged 22
thomas brennan brother 36
mary ann brennan sister in law 25
thomas brennan nephew 4
winifred brennan 2 months niece

Last edited:
1911 census

address is court 9 house 5 tower st...this time she is living with her parents

head of house thomas brennan 35
wife mary ann 46
winifred brennan daughter 20 married..(no sign of hubby on census)
mary ann daughter 17
martin son 10
thomas son 5
james son 1

1901 census...address is cecil st....

head of house...winifred costello 62 widow
thomas brennan 45 brother married
mary ann brennan sister in law married
winifred brennan niece 10..(again living with her aunt)
martin brennan nephew 1

note...descrepency on the age of winifred costello...on the 1891 shes down as aged 59 and on the 1901 shes down as aged 62 so most likely just written down wrongly

Last edited:
1955 electoral rolls

address 138 brearley st ...winifred humphreys...no one else at that address (as you said lynn she remarried and became a humphreys)

1920 electoral rolls....138 brearley st..winifred humphreys..no on else at that address

Last edited:
Thanks Lyn, so it was 138 not 38. Gran was like a gypsy Lyn, she moved so many times, and very often went back to the same street! She had a very hard life but was always a jolly soul. A strong woman, they had to be didn't they? They don't make them like that any more!

oh i agree with you lynn they had to be strong...and in those days folk used to move around a lot..usually to avoid the rent man lol...if they saw an empty house it seems they just moved into it...are you on ancestry lynn?? just wondered as someone has got a family tree for winifred...if mike spots this he maybe able to post a map showing no 138

Yes I'm on Ancestry Lyn, it's fascinating isn't it? There are a few trees for Winifred as she had a large family and my Grandad had lots of brothers and sisters so there are numerous cousins on both sides. I've taken some info from them, but it's not always accurate so I like to see if I can be sure of the facts before I add them. It can get very confusing with family trees, especially with similar names. They used the same christian names a lot back in the day, didn't they?!
Be great to see a map of Brearley Street. I've heard so much about it, I don't know about you Lynn, but I feel I was there with them sometimes!

have to agree with you lynn its not always wise to rely on other peoples research...i have found so many errors over the years so it is always best to check and double check thats how i found out your nan was at 138 brearley st not 38..could be my lot knew your nan as i had rellies all around there including brearley st..may even have drank in the same pubs..we have a thread for brearley st with quite a few photos on it..not sure if you have seen it yet but looking at them does make me feel as though i am walking in our ancestors footsteps.....oh by the way my nan was born in 1891 and lived around there until the late 60s when owing to the mass domo they had to drag her kicking and screaming from her little back to back in paddington st (which is where i was born) which she had lived in since the early 1900s

Lynn
Below are 3 maps. One is a larger scale one of about 1889 showing no 138 in red. There is also a simialr smaller scale map, which gives less detail from about 1913. By 1913 the Leopard pub was no longer a pub. The is also a much larger map of all of Brearley st. around 1913 . The road going down on the left of 138 is Hospital St.map c 1913 showing 138 Brearley st.jpg map c1889 showing 138 brearley st.jpg map c 1913 brearley st .jpg T0 be able to view this last one well you should download it and view it in your viewer, as you won't be able to see much detail on the computer screen because of the size of it

great maps mike...lynn if you click once on the 3rd map it should enlarge...when you have had time to digest them i have a little more info for you...:)

lyn

Lyn - Winifred Humphreys and Thomas her husband are on the 1911 census in their own right. (Was she included as Brennan in error?) Address 5 House 13 court Hospital Street. He is a Coffen Furniture Presser (I assume that should be Coffin Furniture Dresser!!).

janice it..seems strange that i have a winifred brennan on the 1911 age 20 married but hubby is not on the census living in brearley st and you have a winifred humphreys also on the 1911 same age but living with hubby in hospital st...maybe lynn can shed some light....we know she married a humphreys and she was born in brearley st 1891

lyn

Last edited:
20 - married less than one year.
f8b3e09f-5121-492e-a4d1-46b82cfbec23
I have seen a daughter entered before (a relative of my husband appears as a daughter with her parents and with her husband - can't remember what year). Have attached the record. Occupation for both Winifred H and Winifred B is the same.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-11_14-3-28.png
    upload_2018-1-11_14-3-28.png
    731.7 KB · Views: 10
right thanks janice it looks like that is what has happened then especially as the occupations of both are the same..shes down on 2 1911 census records...cheers janice just wanted to make sure my 1911 was not wrong...having problems getting onto ancestry today

lyn x

Yes I usually stay logged in but had a message saying "unable to process request please log in again ". I did and got straight in. Obviously gremlins at work

Thanks ladies (and Mike!) for your research. Very interesting about the second 1911 entry, I'll have a look at it. This site definitely becomes addictive! (Who cares that the ironing isn't getting done :D).

Both entries are definitely for Gran, although she's listed as Brennan on the one she had been married for 3 months. It is definitely her parents and brothers and sister on this entry.

lynn go to post 9 and look at mikes first map..you will see it marked PH (public house) on the corner of hospital st and brearley st...this pub was the rose and crown severely bombed during ww2 as was hospital st...considering your gran was at no 138 brearley st which is so close to the pub and given she was at this address during ww2 she must have heard the air raid...i have a photo of the damage done it also shows the large crater left in the middle of hospital st close to the rose and crown...i also have a photo of residents out side the rose and crown celebrating the queens coronation in 1953..the rose and crown was repaired of bomb damage and re opened...im baby sitting soon but later on i will post these 2 photos for you to look at..given that your nan lived so dangerously close to the bombing she was very lucky...for all you know she could be on the coronation photo as again she lived so close to the rose and crown pub in 1953...ps i am taking it you know what your nan looked like?

lyn

Last edited:
Winifred should also be on the 1939 register on FMP but I don't have a subscription. All I can see is there is a James Humphreys and 3 other people.

Winifred should also be on the 1939 register on FMP but I don't have a subscription. All I can see is there is a James Humphreys and 3 other people.

janice it would be useful if someone with a sub to the 1939 register could kindly do a look up for winifred ..i suspect she maybe at 138 brearley st as that is where she was in 1920 and 1955..both times no sign of her hubby

Lyn, I would love to see any photos you have of the area. I have hardly any of Gran- one of her hop picking in Martley, Worcs, my mom and dads wedding photo, and a couple of holding me when I was a baby. She died in 1974 so I have lots of lovely memories of her.

She became Winifred Marshall in 1922 when she married my Grandfather, but was widowed again in 1939.

Can I say what a marvellous job you do on this site, Lyn. You must put so much time and energy into it. Plus your love of it all really shines through.:)

Lyn, this is getting spooky-I looked at some posts about the Rose and Crown, Brearley st. Someone mentioned one of the landlords as being Kenneth Ironmonger. This is my 2nd cousin on my dad's side!

Lyn, I would love to see any photos you have of the area. I have hardly any of Gran- one of her hop picking in Martley, Worcs, my mom and dads wedding photo, and a couple of holding me when I was a baby. She died in 1974 so I have lots of lovely memories of her.

She became Winifred Marshall in 1922 when she married my Grandfather, but was widowed again in 1939.

Can I say what a marvellous job you do on this site, Lyn. You must put so much time and energy into it. Plus your love of it all really shines through.:)

hi lynn many thanks for your kind words but it must be said that there are some pretty fantastic members on this forum who are only to willing to help anyone with their family research especially when brick walls are hit and praise must also go to them.in my opinion you will not find a better birmingham history forum on the net..i really cant believe that a rellie of yours ran the rose and crown...we must try and find out when this was...your poor nan did not have much luck in marriage did she but she sounds as though she was a lovely lady..not willing to give up easily either..here are 2 photos of bomb damage to the rose and crown and also the large crater it left in the middle of hospital st...also pic of the coronation celebrations outside the rose and crown..i am hoping your nan could be on it..as said earlier your nans house in brearley st could have been no more than 30 feet away from where the bomb dropped as you will see the rose and crown was badly damaged but in true brummie spirit they repaired it and started pulling pints again:D:D..the little shop on the other corner was a chippy...hope you find them of interest lynn ps just noticed i have posted on pic twice..will sort that out later

lyn

rose and crown coronation celebrations 1953.jpg rose and crown pub bomb damage 1940.jpg rose and crown pub corner of brearley st and hospital st 1940.jpg rose and crown coronation celebrations 1953.jpg

Last edited:
Kenneth is listed in the electoral rolls as being at the Rose & Crown in 1960 & 1962

thanks for confirming when kenneth was the landlord mike....lynn you will not believe this...i also have this photo of the rose and crown guessed it was taken round about the 60s looking at the cars at the side but now we can date it for certain... but look above the door..the name of the landlord is kenneth ironmonger:eek: what a result for you:):) if you save it to your computer and zoom in you will be able to read it..failing that if you click on it it should enlarge

lyn

brearley st west no 16.jpg

Last edited:
me again lynn...i have just re read your post no 22 when you said

so i am bit confused lynn because if she re married in 1922 and became a marshall how come she is down on the 1955 electoral register as winifred humphries ??:eek: i am still having problems getting onto ancestry so at the min i cant double check the e rolls

lyn

Last edited:
I wondered about that and thought it might be a relative. Lyn - I will check if I can when I put laptop on. Also did a quick check for Marshall but hadn't found them when I had to stop.
Have now checked and can't find a 1955 entry for Winifred Humphreys.

Last edited:
janice i think we will have to hope that lynn can shed some light on the mystery...maybe i have wrongly assumed that winifred was living at 138 brearley st through the war years and we do know she was born there as lynn has her birth cert...i do have a winifred humphreys at that address in 1920 but now i am confused about finding a lady of the same name living there in 1955...fingers crossed lynn can advise us

lyn

Back