• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

brearley street newtown.

post 152 pic 2 shows powells leather..here is another pic of it with some info..but did you know it used to be brearley st cottage baths..

lyn

Brearley Street..jpg

so many missing photo from this thread folks...either due to the hacking or photobucket removing them...i will do my best to try and repost any i still have but in the meantime would anyone be able to repost the photos on post 38 and 39 please...

many thanks

lyn

Using the Photobucket fix extension I can see all the Photobucket pics and will upload them somwhere.
Some of the earlier ones posted before Oct 2011 were lost in the hack but some of them were saved in Coppermine but difficult to find without file names ... only the ones with 'brearley' in the file names are easy to find

images

Photobucket pics lost from the thread
Post#133
133_brearleystwestno16.jpg
Post#134 the image has been deleted from Photobucket
its file name was Brearley_Street.jpg

Post#135 the image has been deleted from Photobucket
its file name was Brearley_Street_Back_to_Backs.jpg

Post#136
136-Brearley2520Street.jpg
Post#137
137-Brearley2520Street252018-8-1961.jpg
Post#138
138-brearly20001_.jpg
Post#144
144-Newtown_Row_District_17_10_40_.jpg
Post#145
145-Newtown_Row_District__air_raids_17_10_40_.jpg
Post#150
150-brearleystbackof39court43-1.jpg
Post#151
151-brearleystno42.jpg
Post#157
157-celebratingqueencorroseandcrownbrearelyst.jpg
Post#159
159-19CrtBrearley.jpg
Post#166
166_Brearley Street School 1983.jpg
Post#176
176-1-HUNTERSBROUHOSPST030_zps2c516422.jpg
176-2-HUNTERSBROUHOSPST028_zps105aac8e.jpg

Lyn, my son was at the nursery 1962/64 much earlier than your children. Also the photo posted c.1973 seems to show all different staff, but nice to see all the same.
Just been reading this old thread I went to a nursery the same time as your son i dont remember its name but it was at the top of brearley street on a slight hill it was not associated with the infant school st Chad's at the other end of brearley st .all the children were assigned an animal picture mine was a giraffe and we looked for our picture to show us where we hung our coats.we always had a nap in the afternoon i think in little bunk beds and there was swings and a climbing frame outside I must of been only 4 but I still remember vaguely little bits of my time there.I hope it is the same nursery you remember.

sugar the last 2 photos on the previous post show brearley st nursery which is where you would have went to...click on them to enlarge...its still a nursery and my own 4 children went there as well...back in the 70s our mom was a cleaner there

lyn

sugar the last 2 photos on the previous post show brearley st nursery which is where you would have went to...click on them to enlarge...its still a nursery and my own 4 children went there as well...back in the 70s our mom was a cleaner there

lyn
Thanks for that .I did see them photos and I remember the railings but I dont remember the building having another level so I thought it was not the nursery but I was only 4 and only remember parts of the nursery so thanks again also while I'm here do you remember the small park I think it was up the side street from the barrel pub.

Hi Lyn I've just been tidying up some pics on my comp and found this one of 4 Court, Brearley Street. Sorry that's all the info I have, but hope it's one of your missing ones. Josie

Attachments

• 4 court brearley street.jpg
    4 court brearley street.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 51
hi josie yes this thread is a bit of mess due to the hacking but thanks for the photo..even if it is already on here its better to have a photo twice than not to have it at all..i am shortly going to find time to tidy the thread up :)

lyn

Nice photo Lyn, I've had a fiddle with it to sharpen it for you. Imposing building. Viv.
I worked at St Chad's Comprehensive in Brearley Street for a short while in the early 70s. On the outside it was very imposing but inside I remember it light and airy and I found it welcoming. Classrooms were off central halls on both floors. Parquet floors, lots of glass windows to the inside as well as outside. Difficult to get an impression of the building outside because the street was narrow. I would turn in from Summer Lane and never walked beyond the school. I wish now that I had done so. It would have been 1972, maybe Feb or March, when there was a big explosion. Apparently a gas explosion in the factory opposite blew out its windows. Fortunately the smaller Victorian glass panes of the school held fast. The kids all thought it was a car bomb. Bad times in Birmingham then. I was told - don't know if it was true - that the Fire Service were so appalled when they did their inspection that they would not admit to having ever inspected it. No electric fire alarm, just someone going round with a hand bell and only 3 doors to outside, two at the front and one at the back into the small playground where you would be trapped by high brick walls and no gate out. Exit was only through the building. I visited for the first time recently and had hoped against hope that the building had survived and converted maybe into offices or loft apartments. All I could do was look at the dropped curbs in the pavement and a strange possible concreted-up door on the entrance to St Chad's Industrial Estate.

would any members have any photos of brearley st please. ive seen the ones on the summer lane remembers site. my aunt joyce moseley lived at 2/305 when she was young. thanks in advance. wales.
Hi Astoness i lived in Ward St off Brearly St and worked for Elkingtons.

hello blews st...we do have a thread for ward st with a few old photos...if you have any of the street that you can share could you add them to the ward st thread please...click on the link below

lyn

Back