• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

brearley street newtown.

morning mike..thanks for that..my first pic on post 100 show 105 to 127 brearley st.... so my original pic waiting for the royal visit would have been taken on the opposite side of the stag pub..roughly opposite st chads school i would imagine...think ive more or less got me bearings now...

lyn
where do i see these pics please

Hi cjk ad welcome to the Birmingham Hisotry Forum. Member Ray Barret is now deceased so will not be able to reply to your enquiry.

thanks keiron going to have a proper look later on but just quickly looking at the list of pubs you have was the star and garters address at gt hampton row as opposed to brearley st west..ps will get those promised photos to you tonight

lyn

Hi Lyn, I am putting the S&G in Great Hampton Row. Both trade directories and licensing books list it in GHR.

Was it the 1960s when Brearley St (Great Hampton Row end) was cleared/renovated?

Thanks

Was it the 1960s when Brearley St (Great Hampton Row end) was cleared/renovated?

Thanks
yes i would say so mark because we moved to uxbridge st in 71 and our house was built on where that part of brearley st once was

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Thanks Lyn. My (step) grandparents moved from there (246) to Yardley and I thought it was about then.
my aunt lived in that section of the street mark cant recall the number but i think it was almost next to the star and garter pub which was on the corner i think with gt hampton row..its just bought to mind that one day workmen had to dig up the pavement outside our house in uxbridge st and they found an old silver spoon which must have belonged to one of the brearley st residents..i will stand to be corrected here but i think at some point (maybe way back ) that part of the st was called brearley st west...maybe just by the locals so i would have to check that one out

lyn

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Not too far away then. My (step) great grandmother ran a grocery shop there in the 1930s.

There appear to be lots of mentions of Brearley St West in the papers so you're probably right.

you may already have this mark but a map showing 246 and only a few feet from the star and garter pub...asked mike to send me the map

lyn

brearley st map no 246.jpg

Thanks Mike I found the map it is 270 I am looking for not 217.
270 is just on the map, I always thought Brearley street only ran between newtown row and Gt Hampton row are there any more properties to the west of 270?

Back