• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bread Vehicles

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
I remember the bread van delivery in the 1950s with its sloping shelves and wonderful smell of bread. This Handsworth bread delivery is much earlier, and the image is incredibly clear, even down to the loaves of bread. Don't think this, or even the later vans I remember, would pass the required hygiene standards of today. Viv.

image.jpeg

I remember when I was a school kid our Co Op bread man had a horse and cart just like that one. The milkman also had a horse and cart. In 1955-56 I worked at the Co-Op bakery in Stechford but by then they had electric vans. I did not like the job so I transferred to the milk in Hall Green which was a lot nearer home . They were still using horses t that time.

A close relative of mine, during the late 1930's, drove one of the bread delivery vans with horse, for Scribbans Bakeries (Scribbans Purity Bread). The unusual thing was that she was female and that I gather was not common at that time. WW2 changed all that!

Last edited:
I remember when I was a school kid our Co Op bread man had a horse and cart just like that one. The milkman also had a horse and cart. In 1955-56 I worked at the Co-Op bakery in Stechford but by then they had electric vans. I did not like the job so I transferred to the milk in Hall Green which was a lot nearer home . They were still using horses t that time.
Here's a photo of Stechford bakery carts from 1953, J.

Attachments

• Co-operative Bakery  Manor Rd Stechford 1953.jpg
    Co-operative Bakery Manor Rd Stechford 1953.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 44
Hi horsencart - getting a 403 message for your link. So unable to view image. Viv.

The Bulls Head Stechford in 1908. Not one, but two bread vans ! One is Hardings, but can't make out the other. Viv.

image.jpeg

Still saying that I do not have permission (though signed in), but giving link to other of your videos

Back