• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bread Strike Of 1978

I remember it, horsencart, and yet this last couple of years, Lidl have had quite a job on their hands to shift their cheap breadmakers. Hmmmm.

Maurice

I do and I began making my own bread for a short time. No bread maker then Maurice. I remember putting the dough in the airing cupboard for it to rise and forgot all about it. You can imagine what happened!!!!!!?. Doe came over the plate all over the neatly ironed clothes below.

Something I've never tried, Jean, although a number of my friends here use breadmakers and swear by them. But I can imagine the ghastly mess in your airing cupboard! :)

When the Bread strike was on I was a delivery driver moving new vehicles all over the country.
I had a van to deliver to Edinburgh and one to bring back so after I swapped them I made for a bakery as they were not on strike up their and got as many as they would let me have and shared them amongst family and friends down here.

I had just started my nurse training when the bread strike was on, we were lucky enough to have a chef who baked fresh bread everyday, but can remember the queues at the shops and the fights that broke out.Our lovely chef used to bake us loaves to take home with us on our days off, we had to hide them so we weren't robbed.
Sue

Back