• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brasscaster journeyman

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
HI GUYS
I HAVE LEANT FROM A BIRH CERTIFIC THAT ON OF MY FAMILY MEMBERS IN THE TREE WAS TITLED FOR A PROFFESSION
A BRASS CASTER JOURNEYMAN CAN ANYBODY ENLIGHTEN ME AS TO EXCACT WHAT THAT IS PLEASE
I UNDERSTAND THE WORD BRAS CASTER BUT NOT THE JOURNEYMAN;
MANY THANKS Astonian;

A Journey Man was a time served apprentice who met the requirements to be accepted as a competent tradesman.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

hi bernard
many thanks for your time and for letting me know the answer to my question asthis was on one my ancesters birth certif
as the fathers proffession and i have never heard that expression before for the birth of a child
have a nice day bernard best wishes as always [ aLAN] Astonian;;;

Just a bit more - I was only half awake when I firs replied.

journeyman [ˈdʒɜːnɪmən]n pl -men1. (Business / Commerce) a craftsman, artisan, etc., who is qualified to work at his trade in the employment of another
2. (Business / Commerce) a competent workman
3. (Business / Commerce) (formerly) a worker hired on a daily wage[from journey (in obsolete sense: a day's work) + man]

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

So it isn't cannrcted to one specific trade My great grandad was listed as a journeyman in one of the census, but there was no indication as to what his trade was, he had been a domestic gardener at one point and also had a dairy round, would either of these class as a trade
Sue

Back