• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brass founder, shot pouch maker

juliewig

Brummie babby
Hi my ggg grandfather Edwin bromwich born 1833 ran a brass factory I believe near or at the back of 211 Clifton road. He died in 1894 left no will or probate he married Mary Ann smallwood who’s father John lived next door with his wife Esther, John was a shot pouch manufacturer . I would like to know abit more about their jobs.

1570954912085.png
A brass founder works in a foundry. The foundry melts brass down to liquid form and pours it into molds to form parts. Part of the founder's job is melting and pouring, part is making the forms which is not easy, part is making the sand molds around the forms This would be a hard, dirty job in 1891!

it was a dirty job my dad was a brass founder, he died of lung probs due to the fumes.

was the pouches this type of pouch?

Last edited:
Thank you I’m not sure what the pouches looked like. Would they have been used for storing gun powder as John smallwood was a pouch gun powder maker. Very interesting about the dirty work Edwin died young so it’s possible due to the flumes, his son developed epilepsy he also worked in the factory, it might explain why there grandson didn’t follow them in the trade. I’m very grateful for the information. Thank you. Julie

Thank you I’m not sure what the pouches looked like. Would they have been used for storing gun powder as John smallwood was a pouch gun powder maker. Very interesting about the dirty work Edwin died young so it’s possible due to the flumes, his son developed epilepsy he also worked in the factory, it might explain why there grandson didn’t follow them in the trade. I’m very grateful for the information. Thank you. Julie
no probs.i tyry`d it in the foundry fo a short while. it was bad,so i left after a month.

yer the pouches are still in use,here in wales,there is a muzzle loaders club. they keep powder in them.to pour into the black powder weapons. next time i go i will take some pics of them

shot is made of lead which are then fired from guns so johns shot pouches could have held these ...but equally i guess could also have held the gun powder

lyn

Back