• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brass Dish

As it's hunting, shooting etc. I wonder if it could be a very posh inkstand from a country house. The ink well itself would have fitted in the centre and could have been brass or glass, removal for cleaning. There are lots of ornate ink stands on the internet but none like this one.

Don't think so MA Polishing say it's brass and a whole mix of other metals.
I ask because you originally said 'it was totally black', which could be the case if it had been silver-plated brass. Let's see what the other side reveals!

Last edited:
So here's the tray back from its' trip to Brum, beautifully restored by the incredibly helpful MA Polishing, can't believe how wonderful it looks. It measures 16" x 13" so it feels too big for an ink stand to me. Makers mark photo also attached.

Attachments

• brass tray restored.jpg
    brass tray restored.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 23
  • makers mark.jpg
    makers mark.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 23
In my book of maker's marks there are two almost identical to that on your item.
A London maker Henry Brind mid 18th century 'Good run of the mill' products
And an Edinburgh maker Harry Breathune, early 18th century.

I have a pair of brass dishes with a tale to tell. I was told that they were wedding presents for my parents in 1934. Apparently, some of the same design were made especially for the firm's owner. So these are what I would call 'foreigners'. Tut!

They are identical, top and bottom and about 13 cm at the widest. Underneath there is what appears to be a design number, C 1185. The maker's mark is an isosceles triangle inside a circle. Inside the triangle are three, indistinct smudges, possibly letters. The middle one might be &.

I cannot remember how they were used. Perhaps intended for hair grips and other bits and pieces on a lady's dressing table.View attachment 139860BrassGirl.jpg

Last edited:
Back