• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brass Dish

mrsghjun

proper brummie kid
Hi can anyone throw any light on who the maker of this extraordinary brass tray might be, it has 'HB' stamped on the bottom, it is likely the bottom of a lamp of some sort. I wonder if it might be Herbert Bushell? It's such beautiful brass and copper work it must have come from Brum! (Bit biased my forebears are Brummies). It has been beautifully polished for me by MA Polishing in Birmingham, it came out of my m-i'l's shed and it was totally black(!)

Attachments

• restored tray.jpg
    restored tray.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 78
Hi mrsghjun,

They've done a lovely job of the polishing.

Difficult to tell the size from the pic but as the centre appears to have
no threads, could it perhaps be the centre of a Lazy Susan?

Kind regards
Dave

Hi mrsghjun,

They've done a lovely job of the polishing.

Difficult to tell the size from the pic but as the centre appears to have
no threads, could it perhaps be the centre of a Lazy Susan?

Kind regards
Dave
Rather jokingly we said maybe it's a Doritos and salsa dish LOL, no threads on the middle bit.

They are silver makers. We need brass I guess.
It seems clear that what ever was located in the centre was removable. I wonder if it was a form of table lighter (not the sort kept on occasional tables or in pockets).

Is it possible to put a photo on the forum showing the HB mark? There are several makers who used HB (some were primarily silver makers but some used several metals) but all wrote the letters differently.

Is it possible to put a photo on the forum showing the HB mark? There are several makers who used HB (some were primarily silver makers but some used several metals) but all wrote the letters differently.
Yes will do just waiting for it to come back from Brum.

Once we establish what it is - assuming we do - then the title of the thread will need changing as it certainly not a dish.
Its dimensions would be a help in the search. It could be, as suggested in post 2, a form of lazy susan but particulaly for using and placing a Game Pie at table.

Once we see the initials on the object we can look at that link Eric.

Initially I though flowers might have been in a glass receptacle in the centre, but the animals threw me off that scent. ;)

Once we establish what it is - assuming we do - then the title of the thread will need changing as it certainly not a dish.
Its dimensions would be a help in the search. It could be, as suggested in post 2, a form of lazy susan but particulaly for using and placing a Game Pie at table.
Thanks Alan as soon as it's back with me I'll put some dimensions on for you and the makers mark. Thanks for your help.

Back