• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

brass caster journeyman

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi guys can anybody tell me what is a brass castor journeyman trade is please
In my tree of ancester, one was registered as one of these for is trade of proffesion this was registered in the 1867 period
Could this be foundry work or some think different
Many thanks astonian,,,,,,,

Alan
He would have passed his apprenticeship and would be fully qualified to carry out brass casting in a foundry. He would work for someone else though, and not himself

Hi mike
Many thanks again for your help during my life span I have worked in foundries around brum especially up into my mid twenty
I had the idea it may have been foundry work but I have never heard the expression of journeyman it was the wording of brass casters
Emediatly that I got the inclination of foundry work and by golly its is certainly was blood sweat and tears and burns
Before I left school I worked in a little factory which was situated behind two houses it was a little factory work shop
A one up and one down little unit and it was owned by a George Wilkinson whom had a shop and rear of the yard in Gerrard street and angelyn
Street by hockley brook and farm street he was a fancy goods maker of wire frame mirrors and bras items
The little work shop was behind our house at 243 kingedwards road at the bottom of our entry where he employed for or five lady's
And one old gentleman for press work he trained me at 14 years old to aluminium bench die casting with red hot moulten of
Aluminium the ladies would lift small ladels of this red hot metal out and pour it out into these very hot press bench moulds
Then they would have had to use a pair of players to lift out the components of a stem of twelve aluminium foot ball studs in a stem form
I would come along and remove the piles of these casting down the shop to Fred whom was a penisioner
And he had to wait until they was cold before pressing them out of the casting after Fred done a load of them
I had to remove them and take them up stairs sort them out and put then in a box of a gross number and seal it up up
But I was fifteen he put me through the paces of loading the small furnaces and starting them up until the right gas tempeture had risen
And taught me how to pour and do the bench molds of hot metal we all wore the special gloves
His first name was George he also had a fellow member of his family with a aluminium casting down long acre red nechells he took me down there to that factory as well in fact he taught me a hell of a lot in tool making as well and also as my mother also worked for him for years he gave me the after school job them took me on as full time after leaving school he was like a father to me he taught a hell of a lot to me he never had a son of his own
Only a daughter whom was the same age as me we got on like an house on fire
My father died when I was young but never really got to know him I was twelve hears old then
But years later I worked at Birmingham aluniniuim ickneild port road Bromford tubes and ended up at tubes where I met our bazzm
Whom we all know we worked along side of each other great bloke then and still is a great bloke and works hard
And be.five. e you certainly met the grain at tubes of rocky lane I was in the foundry amongst the huge furnaces
Started on those furnaces with the gang of pulling off the red hot steel tubes ,then I learnt the slinging side of game with the over head crane driver
After a couple of years Stan fisher senior foreman asked would I go up in the over head crane and they would teach me and the health and safety
Came in and gave me the driving test which included the lifting of red hot metal between gangs of furnace men whilst they was drawing it out of the huge furnaces
You had to make sure whom was your slinger with steel ropes on the deck and you hoped he got the correct wire ropes for the right we right of what ever you was picking up from the men whom extracted the red hot tubes I later became the number one over head crane driver
I started at number 4 and ended up as number 1 I also had previously done the UCI at within foundrys so I can imagine
Or I should say it ain't no picknick I so I know he would have heart his corn ,,,,,money
Thanks again mike Alan,, astonian,,,,,,

As Mike said the term Journeyman indicates someone who has served their time learning a trade by way of an apprenticeship. The term goes back at least as far as the Middle Ages.

journeyman (ˈdʒɜːnɪmən)n, pl -men1. (Commerce) a craftsman, artisan, etc, who is qualified to work at his trade in the employment of another
2. (Commerce) a competent workman
3. (Commerce) (formerly) a worker hired on a daily wage

Back