• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Branston Avenue, Sherbourne Rd, Balsall Heath

davidfowler

Exiled Brummie
Can anyone (Mike?) help with pinpointing this Avenue please. The family were living very near Sherbourne Rd in the 1901 census and I can find Sherbourne Rd on my 1952 Bartholomew's but not Branston Ave. This is from the 1911 census.

Thanks in advance.

Arthur_Haynes_1911_Census.jpg

David, Is this Balsall Heath or Acocks Green?
There is The Avenue at Acocks greren that runs parrallel to Sherbourne RD but across the other side of the tracks
Brian

Branston_Place_off_Sherbourne_Road_B.jpg

David, this is a map from 1952 showing a Branston Place off Sherbourne Road, Balsall Heath,(from old-maps site) it was also on an 1889 map. I couldnt find a Branston Avenue, but someone else may be able to.

In addition, I have just had a look at the 1911 census "List" and 1 Branston Avenue follows 132 Sherbourne Road (occupant Mrs Wainwright) in the list and you can see 132 on the map, on the Sherbourne Road corner of the road marked Branston Place...hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back