• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brandwood House Barracks Kings Heath

c1916 map - the curved drive appears to come off Brandwood Road. In the photo does it seem the small wall fronts the road?
1631181073994.png
By 1937 the drive appears to have disappeared
1631181220837.png
By 1956 Dawberry Fields Road has been built and the TA seem to have extended the original property
1631181318998.png

Chris - have a look here:

Thanks, everyone. Brandwood House looks a much grander and older building than the one shown in my photographs. And less institutional.

Unless the latter was part of the later additions, after it had passed out of private hands......Any thoughts, Keyboardpaul?

Chris

Hi Chris, yes there is one image of Brandwood House in the ‘20’s at https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk...od-house-golf-club-brandwood-road-kings-heath. This looks to be quite a small building at the time and no doubt it was extended when it was RAC Headquarters and later by the TA. There were many outbuildings when we lived there. A large drill hall (used for functions and by local badminton clubs), an office block on the Dawberry Fields Road side, an indoor rifle range and many garages housing trucks, Austin Champs and occasionally, artillery pieces. Unfortunately I can’t find any external shots of the building, only family pictures in the Officers and Sergeants Mess. The Officers Mess was quite a grand panelled room on the upper floor, polished wooden floor, snooker table and separate room for the regimental silver display cases and a separate bar.

Hi Chris, yes there is one image of Brandwood House in the ‘20’s at https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk...od-house-golf-club-brandwood-road-kings-heath. This looks to be quite a small building at the time and no doubt it was extended when it was RAC Headquarters and later by the TA. There were many outbuildings when we lived there. A large drill hall (used for functions and by local badminton clubs), an office block on the Dawberry Fields Road side, an indoor rifle range and many garages housing trucks, Austin Champs and occasionally, artillery pieces. Unfortunately I can’t find any external shots of the building, only family pictures in the Officers and Sergeants Mess. The Officers Mess was quite a grand panelled room on the upper floor, polished wooden floor, snooker table and separate room for the regimental silver display cases and a separate bar.
Correction - AA Headquarters - not RAC from 1936

Last edited:
Yes that does look like how an early version of the building would have been. The main entrance is in the right place. The photo of the golf club house I linked to, shows this left hand side of the building in more detail.

Back