• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brandwood End Cemetery

Hi
I wonder if you can tell me which four cemeteries have now been computerised
i know of brandwood

THe BMSGH have done Handsworth, Warstone Lane & Key Hill.
They have finished (I believe) photographing Witton (1/2 Million entries) - that should be available in a year.
Brandwood is being done on the Swanshurst school site - not sure which year they are currently up to - Believe 1920'?
BMSGH were talking about doing Quinton next as it's unmanned these days.

I stand to be corrected/updated though!
Brian

Hi Brian,
We are up to October 1911. It's a slow process because we are putting the entries in individually. I am Carl Chinn's prorgamme on Sunday 23 Spetember to talk about the project,
Doug

i think it is terrible how birmingham let all the chapels go so neglected trying to find grave stones it a joke all smashed up can't find any i want as i am doing my family tree.

Hi Linda,

it is a very sad fact that Birmingham spends a lot of time and money n Artsfest and at the same time pretty well ignores Heritage Week.
Any thing to do with Birmingham's past, including cemeteries are very very way down on the spending list for our Council.
Most cemeteries have grave plans and will let you know grave numbers if you know the name & year of burial, but trying to find family tree members can be long hard slow road.
Once Brandwood is fully and up and running & Witton is transcribed and compterised - that will be 5 of our city Cemeteries catalogued - onl;y 6 more to do!

Brian

Dear all,
I got postponed last week but will be on Carl's programme on Sunday 30th between 12.30 and 1.30 talking about our project. I am with members of the Friends of Brandwood End who are talking about the wonderful work they do in the cemetery.

Both my brother Ray and his wife Barbara are buried there.The last time I went, for Barbaras funeral it looked a bit negleted and untidy and seem to remember looking for toilets.Local people who are prepared to tend and look after them do a stirling job. So many people move away from the area.They both lived in Cleeve Road Yardley Wood. Bernard

Managed to catch the Carl Chinn programme at lunchtime, very good, how nice to get the youngsters involved.What happens to the dead is relevent to all ages. Bernard

My Dear Bernard,
Thank you for your kind words. As I said on Carl's programme, it has been a privilege to work with the girls. I bet your relatives are outside where we've got to but if you let me have the details i will do my best to include them at a later date.
Best wishes,
Doug

Dear all,
The state of play with the Brandwood Website is that we have been told we can do no more because the city are producing their own website and so we will take ours up to April 1912 when the cemetery went from Yardley to Birmingham. It will still be a live site and so I would be grateful for any notes on the people buried between 1899 and 1912.
Doug

Doug I am so sorry to hear you will not be carrying on with your project. Like Brian I am concerned the council one will not be done for some time and also not be as detailed as your own. I was looking forward to you getting up to the later years as I had a story for you.
Well done for everything you and your helpers have already achieved and good luck for the ones up to 1912.

Hi Brian,
They were very instant that we couldn't continue but allowed me to finish what I had photographed. It does go to 1915 but the photographs from the new register were poor and so 1912 seemed a good point to stop. It is a pity because, though it was taking us a great deal of time it was very worthwhile and great fun. We are going to move on to an addition to the BARRA site with maps. Thank you for your support in the past.
Best wishes,
Doug

Hi Polly,
I was gutted and a bit livid when I first found out because we were enjoying ourselves and it took the wind out of the project when we found out. It will probably take up to May before all the loose ends are tidied up. As I said to Brian we are then going to move on to mapping where the bombs fell in Brum as well as adding to the oral history site.

Thank you for your support and I am sorry........but maybe I can!!!! There wouldn't be anything stopping me from adding people's stories to the site even though there are no more records so watch this space and I'll investigate.

Best wishes,
Doug

What a shame they have prevented a lovely project! They should be glad it was being worked on and should have supported you.
There used to be a Government index available online for burials and cremations but that was removed, I used to find that useful.
rosie.

Hi Rosie,
Thank you for your support. We did enjoy doing it but we will continue on something else. The Back to Backs link has just been added to our website and we are involved in a big event on Dementia in London on March 14th.
Best wishes,
Doug

Doug, I shall definitely keep looking on your site to see if stories of more recent burials are put on there. I will also check the BARRA website to see what information you add to that in the future. Good luck with the Dementia event in March. Dementia has affected our family so anything that helps sufferers and their families is excellent.

Back