• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bradley,John & co ltd

Hi Angela,sorry to take so long to reply,only just got the message,you are in my tree ,with little info. I am a cousin of Janet Thomas,though we have never met , I think I contacted you on ancestry or you contacted me. I have seen a message from a David Bradley ,is he one of the Grandsons?
My great Grandfather was john Bradley ,wife was Rosina Carter,his father was John Bradley and mother was Amelia Swann, His brother was Daniel Joseph Bradley,
is this the correct tree ?
look forward to hearing from you, regards ,Shelagh

hi David,
I am a descendant of Daniel Bradley from Harteshorn Derbyshire .My great great grandfather was John Bradley,then great grandfather john bradley I am unsure now if My JB 's death date is 1941 as you JB was same death date,can you throw any light on this
Regards Shelagh

hi David,
I am a descendant of Daniel Bradley from Harteshorn Derbyshire .My great great grandfather was John Bradley,then great grandfather john bradley I am unsure now if My JB 's death date is 1941 as you JB was same death date,can you throw any light on this
Regards Shelagh

Your great grandfather must be John 1863-1941 descendant of Daniel 1816-1878. We are distantly related. Angela, who I see you've been in touch with, has done extensive research on your side I believe. Regards, David Bradley.

Hi Shelagh! Great to hear from you (and thanks, David, for prompting me that Shelagh had messaged me!). As David says, your great great grandfather must therefore have been John Bradley 1863-1941, brother of my great grandfather Daniel Joseph (who we call "Daniel 2"). As you say, their father was John Bradley (married to Amelia Swann), and his father was Daniel Bradley 1816 to 1878 ("Daniel 1") who left Hartshorne to set up Bradley Tetley & Bradley Srew Manufacturers which was based in Floodgate Street. I think David descends from Daniel 1's elder brother, Thomas Bradley (1804 - 1857) - is that right David?

I recently met up with Janet Thomas (whom I hadn't seen for about 40 years!) and she and my cousin John Bradley (one of the many, and another engineer!) went to the Central Library to spend a very interesting day looking at the files of Bradley Tetley and Bradley, and then also looking at some of the related the wills that are also kept there. Janet did mention she had been in touch with you.

Look forward to hearing from you again!
Kind regards
Angela

Hi Angela and David
Thanks to both for info, loved the photo's. I came across a tree Yesterday with info back to around 1500, I followed it through wondering if there was a connection and was surprised to see John Bradley with Ann Rhodes only problem is I don't know what I was looking at when I found It ,Any Suggestions.
regards ,Shelagh

Hi Shelagh. Sorry haven't been on the website for a few days. We can't find an Ann Rhodes on my tree. If you have a way of contacting Angela she will give you my email address. Cheers, David.

I'm intrigued by the name Lennie Cash. In the 1970s until I finished in 1995 I was in charge of a group of electricians when I worked for BT. One of them was a Lennie Cash. I doubt he would have been the same person. If he was 15 in 1964 he would have been in his early 30s at the start of the 1980s so the age is about right. It would be nice to know. I meet up with old BT colleagues from time to time. If I bump into him I will ask if he worked at Bradley's in the 1960s.

I don't recall the lad named Tony, sorry.

Reading your last post I realised I mixed up old money with new in my previous post. Like you I started on £2.10 shillings in 1959. If you got the same in 1964 it's clearly obvious the pay didn't go up much, if at all, in those days.

I don't suppose you recall the name George Rogers do you? He was a patrol inspector at Heath Street GKN during the 1960-70s. He was my Dad.

I shall have to dig out a photo of me from around 1964 if I can find one to see if you recognise me.
I started in August 1961 on £2.18 shillings.

View attachment 98276In case any ex John Bradley employees are still looking at this thread, I have dug out the 50th anniversary booklet of the company that has several pictures of the Holloway Head works. None of the original factory up the road in Bath Row where I can remember my great grandfather, John himself showing me the machines etc. he started the company after many years toiling in workshops and inventing things in his spare time. My grandfather, John Stevenson Bradley was never well enough to work in that sort of environment and moved to Weston Super Mare to open a newsagents business eventually. My father, William John, Mr. Bill as a lot of the workforce knew him, was the Sales Director for most of his time in the family business. He passed away in late 1993. I am the eldest of four great grandsons of JB but unfortunately none of wanted to join the firm and, even after it's acquisitions of Aston Screw and Rivets and Fandisk Washers, was sold off to the Wilde family in the mid Eighties. Hope the pictures, including one of an early works outing, park memories for some. Cheers, David Bradley.
It Was R.C.Clarke who interviewed me in 1961.

Hi Angela and David
Thanks to both for info, loved the photo's. I came across a tree Yesterday with info back to around 1500, I followed it through wondering if there was a connection and was surprised to see John Bradley with Ann Rhodes only problem is I don't know what I was looking at when I found It ,Any Suggestions.
regards ,Shelagh
Hi Shelagh and David,
It's only taken me five years to pick up the above post!!! Changed computer, lost login details, then forgot all about the forum! Anyway I am back now, re-registered. Sheila, I will try contacting you on Ancestry again (although not sure if I have the correct person on Ancestry - can you tell me your user name on there please?). David, I have emailed you (if you still have the same email address after all this time!). Great photos David - just wish I'd picked them up before now!!
Regards
Angela Bradley

Didn’t get your email, Angela. Was it the -djsbradley@ address? Regards, David.
Yes David, it was the djsbradley@ email address - sent it 24th September. It didn't say a lot though - mainly thanking you for the photos and basically touching base again. Maybe it went into your junk? I will send it again anyway, just to hopefully get us connected again. Best wishes, Angela

I'm intrigued by the name Lennie Cash. In the 1970s until I finished in 1995 I was in charge of a group of electricians when I worked for BT. One of them was a Lennie Cash. I doubt he would have been the same person. If he was 15 in 1964 he would have been in his early 30s at the start of the 1980s so the age is about right. It would be nice to know. I meet up with old BT colleagues from time to time. If I bump into him I will ask if he worked at Bradley's in the 1960s.

Reading your last post I realised I mixed up old money with new in my previous post. Like you I started on £2.10 shillings in 1959. If you got the same in 1964 it's clearly obvious the pay didn't go up much, if at all, in those days.

I don't suppose you recall the name George Rogers do you? He was a patrol inspector at Heath Street GKN during the 1960-70s. He was my Dad.

I shall have to dig out a photo of me from around 1964 if I can find one to see if you recognise me.
My dad worked there also all his working life.. Frank Davies.... Fan Disc and Bradley's...

Shelagh,
I believe you are in the right place for a Kelly's look up.
My name is Bradley, and I have John Bradley's in my tree, going back to 1840, originating from Deritend and Bordesley. Do you know the parents of the John Bradley you are asking about?

Ann
My dad Frank Davies worked at John Bradley's all his life.... Mr Cox was a boss.. Harris and David in the office... Or could have been Fan Disc Ltd then...

I think that you have the right Lennie Cash. If I remeber correctly he did leave to become an apprentice electrician somewhere.It would be an amazing coincidence if he ended up working with you but I would bet money that it is him.
I didn't know anyone at Heath Street GKN so would not have known your dad at all.Another name that comes to mind was an irish kid who started just after me in the Headers, his name was Desmond Corcoran.The other names that I remember were Benny Mills, Tommy Lamb, Les Truscott, Mickey Breen,Douggie Matts, a geordie working on the steel bar stores named Basil.
Regards,
Charlie
Do u recall Frank Davies..

Thanks for the pics. I must have been walking round with my eyes shut in those days as neither of you look familiar. I will ask my brother if he recognises either of you.

The the heading machine you saw ahead coming down the stairs from the tool room was a split die machine I think. I thought when I left Bradley's Doug looked after that one and the other two next to it. I used to make all the split dies for the headers.

I have remembered the apprentice electrician was Peter, can't recall his surname. Another apprentice was Brian Darrell, who lived not far from me, and Ted the tool No 1 tool grinder was Ted Yarnell, I believe. Was Sid the storekeeper?

The cricket team I mentioned before was "managed" by the guy who was the patrol inspector. He was situated in an office in the main packing area. They used the same office to hand out your pay on Friday's. Was the name of the guy who looked after the thread rolling machines named Ken? I recall he had a couple of women as well who operated the hand fed thread rollers.

Regards
Mike
Was the electrician Peter Sparrow

Hello all,
I believe that Bradley Cycles in Hope St, Back of Bristol Street are also part of the Bradley Family,both Daniel 1848 and John 1840 involved,I have several contacts that had family working for the cycle part.I believe that daniel the elder and John later were Bradley screws and Rivets.
Does this ring a bell with anyone
Shelagh

I've got a photo I'll post it to you.. I don't no how to do it on mine?

Hi Mike,
You would not remember me as I was only at Bradleys from August 1964 to 1967.I do remember the barreling shop though, Les Smith and I used to creep in there and throw fireworks into the barrels. By the way, the barrels were filled with sawdust in those days so it probably was not the cleverest thing to do but at 15 or 16 years old it seemed lke a good idea at the time.
I remember Colin Bonham's name but not him.I also remember going on a works outing coach trip to Blackpool around 1966 or so, the usual crates of beer on the coach and the drunks all singing on the way back to Brum, great fun and good times back then.
Les Smith saw my post on this site before Christmas and we have been in touch after almost 45 years, we spoke on Skype and had a good laugh at the old days.

:fat:
Charlie Birch
Found this photo do u recognise anyone

My dad worked at fan disc and Bradley's all his working life... Frank Davies... Ended at Duddeston Mill when wilds took over...

Back