• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bradford street

Afraid I have to disappoint you, Seabird, no 214 was behind the back of the artist on the north side of the road. Below is attached two maps c 1889 showing 214 in red on different scales.
In directories 214 was listed as :

1841-78 Titmus Edward, boot & shoe maker

In 1833-39 he was at 188 Bradford St, which I am pretty certain is a different place , and that street has not been renumbered.
In 1829, he is just listed in Bradford St, with no number given

In the 1873 whites directory Mrs Sarah Titmus, dressmaker is listed at 214, but not Edward, though the directories were not always as comprehensive as one would wish
Mike

map_c_1889_no_214_Bradford_St_large_scale.jpg

map_c_1889_no_214_Bradford_St_smaller_scale.jpg
Hi Mike,

This is so interesting. I've been reading Census addresses as part of some family research and wondering what Court 3, 22 Bradford Road meant? It's so interesting to see where and how the courts fitted in with the address. Would you by any chance have the same type of map of the top end of Bradford Street?

Many thanks in advance

Solanche

Solanche. Hope this is what you want

Attachments

• map c 1889 showing nw end ~Bradford st.jpg
    map c 1889 showing nw end ~Bradford st.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 28
Hi Mike

Thank you so much for you prompt response. This is exactly what I was looking for, so thank you

What an amazing community you all are! :sun:

Afraid I have to disappoint you, Seabird, no 214 was behind the back of the artist on the north side of the road. Below is attached two maps c 1889 showing 214 in red on different scales.
In directories 214 was listed as :

1841-78 Titmus Edward, boot & shoe maker

In 1833-39 he was at 188 Bradford St, which I am pretty certain is a different place , and that street has not been renumbered.
In 1829, he is just listed in Bradford St, with no number given

In the 1873 whites directory Mrs Sarah Titmus, dressmaker is listed at 214, but not Edward, though the directories were not always as comprehensive as one would wish
Mike

map_c_1889_no_214_Bradford_St_large_scale.jpg

map_c_1889_no_214_Bradford_St_smaller_scale.jpg
Hi mikejee

Me again! I was wondering whether you could help me out with another map. At first I thought I was looking for 22 Bradford Street, but now I understand I am looking for Court 22 on Bradford Street. I *think* it was behind 266 or 267 Bradford Street (this is from looking through Census records)

Thanks so much in advance

Solanche

Has anyone got an image please of the front of the premises of H. Pountney Limited builders, decorators, plumbers of 315-316, Bradford Street Birmingham prior to its demolition for the redevelopment of the bus station.

A nice wartime photo Phil. I can (hopefully) just make out that the tram is on the 42 route which could mean that it is the end of 1939. Moseley Road and Stechford routes were diverted along Bradford Street at that time to a temporary terminus in Hill Street, rather than Albert Street due to track renewals at Rea Street/Digbeth junction.

Last edited:
Maybe early Sunday morning. Most folk having their weekly lie in and the nearby markets would be closed?
Yes, everyone making the most of the well earned rest no doubt, my very first job was in bissell street the next road on from rea street, big factory at the top called epharaim Phillips. I don't know how long it's been there but would imagine a few of the workers would have got that tram to there shift

Welcome Vitalspark. I too worked at Bradford Street DHSS in the early 1970s (probably about 1972 for about 6 months). The overriding memory is of the smell of the abattoir in the morning and having to close the windows on warm days ! Viv.

Hello Viv! You worked there too? I didn't start there until 76 but, I imagine we have people in common. People died at their desks having worked there for years, purely because of the decent pension! I left in 1979 to move up the road to John Heath. By the time I started work, the new Wholesale market had been built, so I missed all that, thank goodness! The Mercat Cross pub was across the road and spent many after work evenings there watching bands. Also enjoyed a birthday party there and was the very first place that I ever tasted a prawn sandwich! I must look out some photos.
Best wishes!
Gill.

Mikejee!!

You are amazing!! thank you, thank you, thank you!! Happy, happy last day of 2018 and blessings for 2019 to you and yours!!
It seems to be behind 265 and 266
View attachment 130143
Hi
It seems to be behind 265 and 266
View attachment 130143
Hi Mikejee... would you know if house number 236 is shown on the map please... James Aldhous and family lived there on the 1851 census... he was a wire weaver so presumably worked around the area too... thank you for any info.

Hi,

I came across this forum whilst researching a catalogue I was given over the weekend.

A lady from close to where I live in Wiltshire dropped by with a 1927-8 Illustrated catalogue for a company going by the name of W G Cheese. She was going to give it to our local car museum but knowing that I have a small collection of classic and vintage cars thought I'd be interested in having it. A lengthy internet search brought me nothing apart from a reference to a thread in this forum.

W G Cheese appear to have been a supplier to the cycle and motor trade and were based in Jupiter House on Bradford street.

The catalogue is in quite good condition and is an absolutely fascinating read. I don't wish to part with it but would love to know more about the company if anybody out there knows anything.

Regards,

Richard.

Glad you found the Forum, welcome.
If you refer back to post 55 of this thread you will see a photograph of their premises in Bradford Street and mention of their prior address.

I too have found it difficult to find out much about this company. A search of the London Gazette revealed nothing, but Google shows two old catalogues for sale:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-...ue-accessories-1950s-cheese-ltd-/372712811575
and
https://picclick.co.uk/Vintage-Cycl...catalogue-accessories-1950s-372712811575.html

This would suggest to me that the Compay was taken over. If this happened recently, we may at some point in the future, see a Notice formally winding up the old Company. Until such time as that happens, there will be requirement for the new owners to submit Annual Returns in respect of both old and new Conpanies. But don't hold your breath as it is more trouble to wind up the old Company than it is to submit Ammual Returns for it!

Maurice :cool:

In May 1901 there is a court case in which Mr WG Chase appears, and his premises are said to be in Steelhouse Lane.

More on Cheese.

WG Cheese (Bm) was a co-director of the Bristol Wagon Works Co. Nov 1894.

Founder member of the National Cycle Accessory Factors Association, July 1899.

It seems that William G Cheese was, around 1890, down as a Iron Manufacturer at 13 Corporation Street. Also Cycle Manufacturer at 142 Steelhouse Lane.

His father William E Cheese was an Officer of the Inland Revenue.

Last edited by a moderator:
From directories (it should be remembered that date is publication date and would refer mainly to the year before):
1894 No mention
1888-1895 Cheese William George, iron merchant, 13 Corporation st
1897 Cheese William George, iron merchant, 13 Corporation st
1897 Cheese William George, iron merchant, 43 St Pauls Square
1899 Cheese William George, iron merchant, 13 Corporation st
1899- 1900 Cheese William George, cycle accessories manufacturer 142 Steelhouse Lane
1903-1908. Cheese William George,, cycle accessories manufacturer, 115& 116 Moor street. T A "Jupiter ; "
1910-1921 Cheese, William George, cycle factor, 38 Moor St
1924-1973 Cheese, W,G, Ltd, cycle factors, 326-327 Bradford St ,Telegraph address "Jupiter"
1973 was the last year Kellys directories were published for Birmingham
Also 1932-1933 Cheese, William George, private office, Union chambers, Union St

I wonder if there were two William George Cheeses, a father and son, the father being the original and the son starting off also as an iron merchant (in St Paul;s Square} and then becoming a cycle manufacturer. I base that on there being two sites for a person of that name in 1897, both iron manufacturers. If a firm had two business addresses it was usual in Kellys for them to be listed as XXX at YYY and ZZZ. Two separate entries implies two separate firms/people

Wow, what a response!

Thank you all so much.

It seems then that even in the 1950's they were quite active and I was interested to see in that catalogue, diversifying somewhat!

In the 1927 catalogue they list such items as Air Rifles, football bladders and catapult elastic. Everything a young boy could want! :)

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Richard.

Back