• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bradford street

My mother lived at 213 Bradford Street in the 30s with her parents and brother who worked at Ingall, Parsons and Clive who had thier works at the top of the hill in Bradford St. close to Warner Street, believe they made funeral furniture.

Fascinating thread! I've always loved this picture of Bradford Street and people going off to market. But the additional info about Christchurch and the tollgate really brings it all to life!

Can you imagine the people of today paying any regard to the tollgate? Most would just laugh and bang their way through!

I think the toll gates and their toll houses were removed in 1828, along with other toll gates in Deritend leading into town. These were originally put there to fund the re-building of Deritend Bridge and works to widen the road to the bridge. The lower part of Digbeth often flooded so improvements were made to deal with this. Tolls were 2d for a 4 wheeled carriage, 1d for a 2 wheeled carriage and a halfpenny for a horse. The tolls originally produced less than they needed, so they slightly extended the use of the toll gates until 1828. Viv.

I find this interesting because I've just found that my g.g.g. grandfather lived and worked in Bradford St. as a cordwainer. Listed in all the c ensus records at no. 214 from 1841 to 1871, the year of his death. I need to find out where 214 would have been. Wouldn't it be great if it was on that drawing?

Afraid I have to disappoint you, Seabird, no 214 was behind the back of the artist on the north side of the road. Below is attached two maps c 1889 showing 214 in red on different scales.
In directories 214 was listed as :

1841-78 Titmus Edward, boot & shoe maker

In 1833-39 he was at 188 Bradford St, which I am pretty certain is a different place , and that street has not been renumbered.
In 1829, he is just listed in Bradford St, with no number given
In the 1873 whites directory Mrs Sarah Titmus, dressmaker is listed at 214, but not Edward, though the directories were not always as comprehensive as one would wish
Mike

map_c_1889_no_214_Bradford_St_large_scale.jpg

map_c_1889_no_214_Bradford_St_smaller_scale.jpg

Wow thanks Mike! That's answered a question - he was just listed as living in Bradford St on the 1841 census, but at 214 in one of the 1845 trade directories. So he was probably at 188 in 1841. He died in 1871 (although the Post Office directory still has him listed as boot and shoe maker in 1875!) The family changed their name at some time from Titmus (or even Titmas) to Tidmus, just to confuse us even more.
Would you mind if I copied those maps onto his page on my ancestry record?

Copy as much as you want. Below I attach a modified smaller scale c1889 map showing two buildings in blue. I am not clear which is 188, as numbering does not run smoothly, but am oretty sure it was one of the two. Also larger scale c1889 map showing the same houses in blue.
Mike

map_c_1889_showing_214_and_two_possibilities_of_188_Bradford_St.jpg

map_c_1889_no_188_Bradford_st___2_options.jpg

That's good of you Mike, thank you. Looking at the first maps, I spotted a japanning works across the road. His son, my g.g. grandfather's occupation was later listed as 'japanner' or 'ornamental laquerer'. I'd be willing to bet that was where he worked. Isn't it great when the pieces fit together?

They're excellent photos Rupert. And they'll give Seabird a good idea of the road in the 1800s. In the 1970s I worked for a very short spell at the DHSS building on Bradford Street and all I can remember of it was as a very, very dark and depressing place. Quite forlorn and forgotton by that time. I suspect it was probably just before all these buildings were cleared. Looking on streetview I don't even recognise any of it, except the church (on Camp Hill I think). Viv.

The 1783 drawing is also interesting as it shows what I recognize as two pottery kilns. I wonder what the history of them, or the pottery, might be?

Like Radiorails, I'd love to know what the two kilns on the right ( drawing in post #8) were for if anyone has any info. I did wonder if they were for bricks or could they be somethng to do with glass? Seem to vaguely remember similar structures being discussed on another thread, but can't remember where. Viv.

Thanks Rupert - great photos. Just as I imagined they would have looked.

I wondered whether they could be glass kilns - they look similar to the ones at Stuart Crystal in Kingswinford.

Would be hard to find a better line-up over time. The 1816 hill is steeper and perhaps this might give an indication of levelling down of the road that took place to reduce the slope, if the dates concur. Not sure what the kilns on the right were for...pottery, glass or some metal perhaps. This road would have led right to the bridge over the moat in your earlier post today. One is tempted to believe that there are trees in the distance that would have surrounded the old manor and could that be the old rectory to the left of them...nah..we just want it to be because we know they were there. I wonder if the toll gate is at the river Rae which I think was a boundary. Could that be Christ Church in the distance to the left. It would have been fairly new about then and perhaps the artist wanted to give a representation of it although it does not seem high enough on the hill and seems to be too large. Someone mentioned this before and thought I would highlight these points again.

The building next to the car has survived almost intact - although the upper windows have been bricked up (window tax?).

I took a picture of this building about 5 years ago and it was unchanged then - I assume it is still there now.

221BradfordSt.jpg

Paul

Superb comparison Lyn. Rupert don't think we ever got to the bottom of what the kilns were for on the right. But I think we came to the conclusion that there had been some leveling of the road. We discussed it here: https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=31693&highlight=Bradford+Street

There's a nice map that mikejee posted on that thread too showing the boundary. Such an interesting view.

Another memory i have of when I worked in Bradford Street was the stench from the abbatoir disgusting smell some mornings when you couldn't open the office windows!!. Viv.

viv i dont think we could get much of a better comparision could we...must say i do find that drawing fascinating..

Rupert
I think it is christchurch and the toll gate probably was by the Rea, as this was a parish boundary, and an appropriate place for it

Back